How do I know my windows are LOW-E

I had low-e reflective coating put on my East and West sides but they look the same as the windows on the other sides. I worry that I was ripped off so I need to prove I got what I paid for.

Reply to
rlassiter

Did you have windows with low-e glazing installed or some sort of film applied to existing windows?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Ive heard of using a cigarette lighter ot light at night to notice a difference in the light, or reflection. I cant say how to actualy do it, but it is done. If a name brand don`t worry, Anderson and Pella glass you can`t tell a difference. I know of no test for Argon.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ask the vendor or contractor that sold them to you to provide the order form from the window manufacturer. If it's on the bill, you're 99.9% sure that you got what you paid for.

RicodJour

That question was answered as to your testing at alt home repair. Someone there will know the way for you to test it. But whos widows. Anderson and Pella it is stated on the glass or in serial numbers etched in that can be verified with the company. For warranty purposes this is their protection. I dought you will get regular glass in windows from many major companies. Today it is Low E argon. Was the South side replaced, that is where you need it most.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
rlassiter

The surface of glass with the low-e coating can be checked with an ohmmeter. Probes placed about 1" apart should give a reading of around 100 Ohms. If you have insulating glass the low-e side will (or should) be inaccessable.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Since Low E is inbetween the panes how are you going to attach an ohm meter, you cant.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've seen sales demos where they hold a high-wattage light bulb against low-e vs clear, and have you feel the heat through the clear and compare it to the low-e pane.

Low-e always appears a little dark and more reflective during the day, too.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson