How do I figure out if residential construction is up to code, specifically ceiling insulation - NYC

I have a question about whether or not my apartment was upgraded up to code. The basis for thinking this is that I can hear absolutely everything that my upstairs neighbors do. So I was thinking:
1. how do I find out if there is construction code applicable to my ceiling? For example, I can tell that my ceiling is a little less than 1 inch sheet rock, then there are 10 inches of space, with no insulation, then there is my neighbors floor. Is this up to code?
2. where can I find this information, who can I ask?
3. lastly, if I find that the construction is not up to code, can I ask my landlord 1. to either fix it or 2. reduce my rent?
I've complained about my neighbors numerous times, asked that they install a rug, but they haven't done a thing. No I guess I need to go the 'up to code' route. I'm not a bastard, it is simply that these people have absolutely no regard for others...
Please advise.
I do not live in NYC although do many constructions and some dealing with sound walls and or ceilings. This is not necessarily a code issue other than an owner issue in my book. Did the owner build with sound in mind. Apparently not. All you can do is request that the landlord deal with the issue of soundproofing. This is not an easy task since it requires isolating members from transferring sound through materials. We have built special parralell 2 stud sound walls, that are islolated with special foam tape, and that no stud touches another.....staggered. In ceilings we have used blown in insulation foam type..... A person could contact an insulating company and maybe get a person to come out and see if a blown in product(foam type) could work, and if it would be cost effective for the landlord to do it. It may minimize the noise but the transfer of sound through the floor onto the joist and then into the sheet rock is the vehicle for the sound to travel. tough question. I may not have helped much at all. just my 2 cents. john

*Years ago I worked in new construction in Los Angeles. They had a sound code. It was required to have a certain amount of insulation in walls and ceilings that had water and sewer pipes; electrical outlets could not be in the same wall cavity on common walls, etc. I have also worked in NYC and have never heard of a sound code, but I didn't work in residential at the time. Most likely if your landlord is law abiding he would have done everything to meet the minimum requirements in order to get a certificate of occupancy. NYC is an expensive place to build and remodel. It may not have been cost effective for him to go above and beyond minimum code. If you enjoy stress and aggravation, contact the building dept. and try and find out what the code requirements are.
You can ask your landlord to do anything, but unless the law requires it he has no legal obligation to do so and if he perceives you to be a nuisance tenant he will be happy to rent to someone else.

These links will help get you started. http://www.tenantsservices.com/art_nyc_noise.php http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/faq/quality.html#noisy