Housing starts and "natural population growth" (aka land depletion)

Page 4 of 4

It is interesting that only China is making a serious attempt to limit growth with it's one child policy and they are dead serious about it. It sounds harsh but they will probably avert millions of horrible deaths by famine.
One hundred million couples with a third child add one hundred million additional people to the planet and they all need recourses and space. I really get irritated at some self proclaimed environmentalist with 3 or 4 kids trying to limit my property rights. The president should get on a bully pulpit and talk about responsible family size. With that said - I don't see it ending well. It is inevitable that we will become as crowded as India with slums to match. Also - big business loves cheap abundant labor.
--
Robert Olin
Bob\'s Water & Septic LLC
Robert Olin wrote:

It is indeed.

That isnt going to happen. We dont see famine anymore except where the country has degenerated into the most obscene levels of civil war and civil chaos or is dinosauring away like with North Korea.

That isnt a problem in the first world which isnt even self replacing now on population if you take out immigration.

That all averages out fine in the first world now.

No need, we've fixed the problem without that in the modern first world.

It clearly did with the first world and china. It remains to be seen if places like India and the third world will ever come to their senses.

Not in the first world.

Not anymore. They have enough of a clue to get that sort of thing done in china now, where the labor is vastly cheaper than it can ever be in the first world anymore.

The TFRs in the USA are exactly at replacment levels.

I think the next thermonuvlear war would explode from Iran and outwards.
Those Muslim nations had been growing at a demencial pace, well over 2,5% over tha past 50 years. They are living in very arid climates, and growing up faster than sudamericans and africans. This is themonuclear clock bomb ticking.
Leopoldo
Geode wrote:

Not a chance. Isreal would nuke them back the stone age before they got a chance to do that.

A hell of a lot of them arent. Have a look at Indonesia sometime.
Which just happens to be by far the biggest muslim country in the entire world.

Nope, you watch.

---------- snipped ----------

Of course, growth is limited. We will keep growing till everything is exploding in pieces, or collapsing. Perhaps we need a good plague, or a thermonuclear war to stop the demented growth.

In some place there is more room and water to grow food. But in many other places there are plenty of land but no water to grow food. Just take a look at the world map. You need to learn a little geography. In the US school do not teach much geography.

we would not lack energy for the next millennium, but not at the rate we are spending now. If the rate of consumption goes down to 1/1000 rate that our present consumption there would be not any trouble to have some candles, and we would have some wind mills to produce electricity, and some dams also. What if instead of 6.7 billion people we were just 6.7 million only? It would be much easier, isn't it?
Leopoldo
Geode wrote

In fact what actually happened is that NOT ONE modern first world country is even self replacing on population if you take out immigration.
No exploding in pieces or collapsing either.

Clearly the first world doesnt need anything like that. JUST industrialization.

Wrong, as always. The only thing we have any problem with is transport fuels and that is trivially fixable by changing to nukes and heating out houses with the power from them instead of wasting natural gas on heating houses and use that as a transport fuel for our cars.

Completely pointless going that route.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to use nukes and heat our houses as well.

Not even possible.

Nope, what would be needed to get to that would be nothing like much easier.
Corse you are always welcome to hang yourself any time you like.

I heard a mathematician commenting that if Americans were to use green fuels to run their cars, at present rate o consumption, they will need all the agricultural lands of the US. Leopoldo
Geode wrote:

He's a pig ignorant fool. Have a look at Brazil sometime.
On 13 mar, 19:50, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

you need a lot of energy to split the water and take the hydrogen.
We would not have so much energy for such futility as running our personal cars to go from our homes to our job sites. Leopoldo