Housing starts a.k.a. land attrition

Page 3 of 3

Don't blow any smoke in his face either...........his oxygen intake may suffer. jloomis

I would like to hear what you have to say about global warming and the burning of fossil fuels....... That should be interesting............... Or do we just go on and keep burning all the oil and give a %^$#^ jloomis What happened to construction, I thought this was a construction site........ Constructive talk..........meaningful discussion, not ranting and raving........

PeterD wrote:

Yes, because everybody knows people are completely unnatural...
-- Les Cargill

Yep. I never followed it up with any deep research though.
What struck me most, though (and you mention this below), is the land area covered by roads.
I think I read somewhere that 6% of Manhattan's surface area are roads. Anybody know is this is correct?

As things are today, much of this polulation gorwn is latin american immigration, much of which is illegal. I don't see how they can legaly put in an order for real estate.

Thats incorrect - a good deal of economic growth has happened because of better production methods that allows one human to do the work of many, who do not have the same machines to perform their labor.
The industrial revolution is the prime example of this. So was/is the computer revolution.
--
regards , Peter B. P. http://macplanet.dk
Washington D.C.: District of Criminals

A trivial amount.

A study in ACCESS showed that a well-designed city has MORE are devoted to roads than the infamous car-dependent suburb.

Yes, it is. So what? How much land space of the lower 48 does Manhattan cover?

Because car-dependant suburbs don't fit the profile that the statists desire.

The standard housing development begins with raw land and plows roads through them. Then, the housing starts are processing and building begins. Not the other way around.
What happens afterward is widening of access roads to this aforementioned development, adding shops and stores along the said access road along the way. Its a support structure for the people who frequent such roads.

Common sense, its (start) simple permission of the governing locale allowing commencing of building a home.

Its also comparison of undefined housing starts. That is, one could be a vast majority of modest homes with another sample of starts of more expensive homes involved. That is, simple comparison of number of housing starts in one year to another year is comparing apples and oranges unless we know what the starts are starting in terms of monies. .
Housing starts are an

See above, could be BS as well.

Uhhhh, the VAST majority of people borrow to purchase a home as that is their only alternative. Will has nothing to do with it.

The chicken and egg thing is the basis of the economy, not just housing. Another instance is Social Security, its very basis is a constantly increasing population paying in vice paying out.

Don't worry, nature always rebounds. We, and our grandchildren, just won't be around when it does...

The planet has be human over-populated for over a century now. Its just a matter of time.

People will succumb to lack of resources and lack of usable land for their sustenance like any other creature of nature.
--
Dave

How about a tax to support any military conflict/police action over 3 months

Total acreage of the U.S. = 1876 million acres http://www.statemaster.com/graph/geo_lan_acr_tot-geography-land-acreage-total
Assuming 100 million households, and assuming the average "house" covers 0.1 acres (should be much less than that due to apartment buildings, condos) then houses cover 10 million acres.
Percent of land covered by houses: 10/1876 = 0.5%
If this doubles over next century, then 1% of land will be covered. (Note: much of this will be due to Mexican immigration, so lots of crummy 'houses' in Mexico will become abandoned and will revert to nature)
Dan in Philly
wrote in message ...

I live on an abandoned tobacco farm. The barn was burned in our fireplace. There are 150 houses where there used to be one tobacco farm. Do we need more tobacco or more houses? There are all kinds of trees on the land now, but at one time there were none. I so happen to have a buy-out for a tobacco allotment (on another piece of land). But do we need more smokers?

Overall context:
The entire population of the world, 6.6 billion, could be given single-family homes (figuring 5 persons per family, low for the world) on quarter-acre lots, with yards to play catch with the kids and all, and easily fit into four or five decent-sized U.S. states.
Say ... Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arkansas.
Though they might prefer California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona. Nicer weather, with more choice about it.
That's about 15% of the land area of the US.
Then say you create multi-family housing, so one-third of housing area is single-family homes, one third is two-family homes, and one-third averages nine families up in apartment buildings, per quarter acre.
Now you've emptied 75% of even that space, and 6.6 billion people live in about 3.5% of the land area of the US, with the other 11.5% becoming room for ball parks, offices and shopping center parking lots.
The great bulk of the world's land area is empty. The great weight of humanity physically bears down upon the globe like dust upon a basketball.
As far as just the US is concerned, if it had the same population density as that infamous hell-hole Bermuda, all its people would fit into an area somewaht smaller than California and Wyoming combined.
wrote in message ...

Given quadraplexes, the Sierra Club ideal, everyone in the world would fit into Texas, leaving the rest of the world to snakes and flies.

..and to the Sierra Club.
Now THAT's an unbeatable real estate deal!!

Nah...for snakes.

Yes, of course, many people do often. Since as fate would have it, that's the limit of what the moron politiciians in the US even know about economics, buisness, science, engineering, or any subject really. So, that's obviously where the robots, digital, computers, fiber optics, laser disks, satellittes, artifical intelligence, tasers, D.U., D,N.A., and cruise missiles came from for the "stsrt-me-up" imbeciles.
This includes interstitial land in urbanized areas,