Housing starts a.k.a. land attrition

Page 1 of 3
Does anyone think about how much land gets covered by blessed housing starts each year? This includes interstitial land in urbanized areas, gross urban expansion i.e. sprawl, agricultural land like California's increasingly-paved Central Valley, and pristine land on the edges of designated wilderness.
The standard definition of housing starts makes no mention of land losses and the attendant increase in water & energy consumption, plus mandatory road-building. Like most economic creeds, housing starts are still defined mainly in terms of money and jobs. The land itself is treated as an infinite sink for this "progress" to occur in.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_starts:
"Housing Starts are used in the United States of America as an indicator of the state of the economy. Housing Starts are the number of privately owned new homes (technically housing units) on which construction has been started over some period. Housing starts are an important economic indicator because they show how much money the general public has. If there is a rise in housing starts it likely means there is more money in the economy. Additionally if there are more Housing Starts in a time period the Federal Funds Rate is presumably low enough for individuals to be willing to borrow money from banks."
With annual U.S. population growth at 3 million, housing starts must be consuming thousands of acres each year. Does anyone in the building industry see an end to this malignancy? Does anyone see that population growth is the chicken & egg precursor to job-creation?
With U.S. population projections of 400 to 500 million by mid-century, millions of acres of "empty" space will be written off as expendable. Nature will keep getting buried for the sake of construction jobs and real estate profits. There will be the usual talk of energy efficient homes, but they will never reverse the net impact of overpopulation.
http://www.wcs.org/humanfootprint (housing starts are stomping all over the place)
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com/terrasrvr.htm
Economic growth: the endless replacement of nature with people.

Well, with half our counties losing population, why not worry about depopulation for a change?

In total, the US housing accounts for about 6% of total land area.

See above.

What fun is that? You can't generate incredible hysterics from that!
:~)

You can bemoan abandoned towns!!!

Or you can make them "Ghost Town" tourist traps. :~)

Hey, it'll mean a resurgence of the western movie genre - lots of new locations to shoot!
--
regards , Peter B. P. http://macplanet.dk
Washington D.C.: District of Criminals

The population is growing. Those against towns expanding, where do you want them to live, under a bridge?

No, only Smart Growth pushes that solution.

The University of Texas (Houston, I think) did a study 20 years ago and found we waste 20-25% of our annual gasoline usage to such traffic systems.
Think how much fixing THAT would contribute to "conservation" and "energy independance".

Dig into Jean-Jacques Rousseau and his "noble savage" to see the basis of the society they want to instill. Essentially, it's primitive tribalism.
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:56:32 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"

IMO that is about an order of magnitude high.
-- Roy L

More than likely, but it's everything from major metro areas, suburbia, to small rural communities.
Probably "residential" would be a more apt term - homes and the supporting area (commercial, streets, infrastructure, etc.).
IIRC, 90% of the population of Canada lives within 100 miles of the Canadian-US border.
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Enough Already

Another misinformed person: it is supposed to be: "Population growth: the endless replacement of nature with people."

One problem here: people are very much a part of nature, and throughout the history of our planet, life has made life possible, not the other way around.
The real problem is the "addiction to oil" and our being brought up in a world where there was "no limit" on the supply of gasoline at the station. We moved farther and farther away from the cities, built more and more highways, built huge "box stores" all on freeway, and driving distances from home and work. Our dependancy on single occupancy vehicles, and trips to the store for a "carton of milk" or such......will all come to an end. Too bad with our resources a viable source of "transportation for the many" was not ever conceived.... I am not the "Pot calling the kettle black either" I drive a diesel pick-up and use it for my work. When I bought the truck in 1999 diesel was about 1.65 a gallon. It is now 4.17..................Higher than gasoline. Truckers are having to fill up with 1000.00 dollar bills! The cost of freight, airlines, mail delivery, milk, flour, all is going up. Just the other day the price of rice worldwide went up 30% (fuel cost rise)
There needs some serious attitude change and especially in the Government......... We the People need some leadership, to help right this train that fell off the tracks....... All of us are in this together, and the sooner we realize the problem, the sooner we can and should come up with solutions...... Transportation, and our lifestyle are the biggest factors....... just some thoughts.........oh well. jloomis

Modern economies do not relay on the human back to do the heavy lifting. We do not rely on horses to move produce. So?

This is a flat-out lie. In 2006 for the first time half the human population worldwide was urbanized. Cities are growing because there are fewer and fewer (in percentage terms too) rural dwellers. Half of all USA counties are LOSING population.
I am speaking about "rural" meaning subdivisions 10 to 35 miles from urban areas...... All over Calif. there are massive subdivisions that most have to drive, anywhere from 10 to 60 miles to go to work and then when shopping comes it is an easy 30 mile or more round trip...... I am not lieing.... Just making facts...... anyway...... I still lift heavy objects? What is this about horses? I am not sure where you are coming from....... jloomis

Most of the residents of such places work locally. Your imagination that everyone commutes to a downtown is just plain wrong.
I take it you do not live in Calif. Drive down Hi.way 80..........Look at the suburbs........now business's there..... Drive up 101......Suburb between Santa Rosa and San Francisco..... Why do you think they call these (bedroom communities) They sleep there and then commute...... Commuting is the main source of home to work.......many, many miles......No buses, no trains, just Big Cars, and gas guzzling Pickups with one driver and no baggage....... Anyway......I am wasting my breath...... We do have a problem with traffic, and highways, and commuting......Gas prices are a sign, and like the tip of the ice-berg.......more to come......... Where do you get the idea that "most residents work locally" You must be living in a dream. whatever...."Fill er Up" jloomis

Yes, because, like a little kid, your world revolves around your own limited horizon.

this quote, from you, ("Most of the residents of such places work locally. Your imagination that everyone commutes to a downtown is just plain wrong.") shows who's world is revolving around a limited horizon.......... look out your window......... Just got back from Hawaii.......You want to see traffic problems! this is about fuel, and waste, and trying to figure out better ways to move people..... I am not sure where you are coming from............. jloomis