Home security systems

I am in the process of building my new home; an ICF structure that has caught the attention of many of my neighbors.The slab and walls are done and the framers are at work on the interior walls. I have gotten some very valuable advise fron this site over the past few years as I have done my research, and I appreciate that. I have another question about home security systems. The trend seems to be that homeowners are getting away from monitored (that is 3rd party monitored )systems where the homeowner pays a monthly fee for monitoring. Instead, wireless systems now contact the owner directly and/or 6 or more default phone #'s, so you essentially monitor your own system. I have looked on Ebay and find a somewhat bewildering array of systems ranging in price from $100. to say $500 and more.Does anybody know of a decent or better quality system,by brand name or manufacturer? Perhaps a website that can distill some of the info for me? I appreciate any help on this issue. Tim H

Reply to
Tim

This is a good dealer and will help you do it yourself...

Bill

ome.com- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bill; lotsa good stuff there. Tim H

Reply to
Tim

I installed the Visonic system with their "quad" wireless sensors. Not had a false alarm in the three years it's been in. I've set it up to call my mobile phone using our land line but you can also get a GSM modem for it. If I don't answer it will dial upto two other numbers.

It's mainly a wireless system (eg sensors contact the panel by wireless) but it does have an input and an output for a few wired sensors or perhaps an electronic gate latch.

Has some cute features such as... If it calls you up you can talk to whoever is in the house directly over the built in speaker (but I've not tried this).

Wireless key fobs (like you have for your car) mean you don't have to punch in pin numbers if you don't want to. So no rush to leave the house in 30 seconds before the system arms itself. You just shut the door an arm the system via the key fob as you walk off just like your car.

Battery life on the wireless sensors seem good and the control panel tells you if a sensor battery is getting low and which one it is (eg "Living Room Low battery").

It's intended to be professionally installed but you can buy all the parts yourself and the installation manuals are on-line. Main issue is that it's got quite a lot of features so the installation can be quite complex. Not recommended for anyone who has difficulty programing a VCR.

One issue with installing it yourself is that you may struggle to find a company to monitor it if you later decide that's what you want. They may wan to rip the lot out and put their own system in.

Reply to
Cwatters