home made corrugaetd rain water tank

Hi,

I live in australia and hve no mains water supply.

So I have 2 23000ltr (6000gal) corrugated steel tanks. these cost approx $3000 each.

I need another tank and was wondering If I could make one.

is a picture of one.

They seem a very simple construction and my estimate is that it would cost approx $1000 in materials.

Has anyone ever made one?

Rich

Reply to
AussieRich

Sure if you have a way to roll the steel and weld the seems so that they don't leak.

It seems you might be able to get a plastic water storage tank for about that price.

Reply to
hawgeye

And realize that welding galvanized steel can be hazardous and difficult too.

Consider a length of galvanized conduit? Maybe about 2 meters in diameter?

That is what I'd do, too.

Reply to
PeterD

Plastic tanks of this size are approximately $3000. no cheaper, will melt in a bushfire and don't look as good as metal to me.

The two tanks I have are riveted with the sems sealed sith silicone/ silastic. No welding required, which would be really hard to do considering the metal is less than 1mm thick.

Rich

Reply to
AussieRich

Never tried it, but that would be a pretty mean riveting job by hand methinks. What were you thinking to use? While there are a potful of them, there's a fair amount of force and the seams will have to be uniformly tight to have a chance of holding permanently.

What would you propose for the bottom/top and how to form them to fit?

--

Reply to
dpb

Why would it have to be corrugated? Why couldn't you silicone and rivet, flat galvenized sheets? Could the bottom be concrete?

Reply to
Maxwell

Well I guess if you find them appealing to the eye, then galvanized it is. I was thinking you could bury the plastic tank, but you would need a pump, which I assume you already have unless you have these elevated and are using gravity.

Then you better use the same size, material, and spacing of rivets unless you plan on doing some calculations to see how much pressure the riveted connection will handle. 6000 gal X 8.35 lbs/gal = a lot of force on a riveted connection. Good luck!

Reply to
hawgeye

The flat sheets would have to be considerably thicker to handle the force. Corrugated is lighter, stronger and cheaper.

Reply to
hawgeye