heat pump

Can anyone tell me if you can install a heat pump without hooking it up to a central heating system(gas or electric)? I am prepared to run the required ductwork since my house now has individual electric heaters in each room. The heatpump would be used primarily for cooling in the summer and maybe additional heat in the winter. Thanks
"bodega" wrote...

I'm not sure what you mean by hooking it up to a central system, but I'm assuming you mean this will be an independent system. That being the case, if you don't mind the additional expense and have the room for more ductwork, then go for it. Depending on what kind of heat pump it is, there may be a better way to go about it.
--
hawgeye

This what you mean? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=air+source+heat+pumps&meta

You're probably far better off using the heat pump for your primary heating during the winter as it will be 2-3x more efficient than the electric heat. The exception to that would be if you're only heating one or two rooms and keep the rest cold. But down to around freezing, the heat pump is the more efficient source.
You might also want to look into a mini-split system. No ductwork needed and you can get them with up to three terminal units, giving three areas their own control.
What are you after here? How big is your space? What got you thinking about a heat pump?