Hardieplank siding installation

Is it a good idea to install furring strips under the siding for better ventilation ? I had some conflicting opinions on this. The home is in Northwest and we get lot of rain here. I already decided to use tar paper instead of Tyvek home wrap and gave up on the extra foam insulation on exterior walls to make the home more breathable.
thanks Luke

One similar option is a mesh rain screen such as Home Slicker by Benjamin Obdyke. I'm planning to use it under my cedar sidewall shingles, otherwise I have no affiliation with them. See: <http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/html/products/slicker.html
Cheers, Wayne

Yes.
I had some conflicting opinions on this. The home is in

Do it. A rain screen is pretty common in that area. You are essentially building one with your furring strips. There's a nice explanation on this web site:
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/walls/rain-screen-exterior-walls

Two smart ideas. Tyvek isn't terrible, and it requires a little less labor, but tar paper will likely last longer. Foam is not good... traps moisture.