Hanging a sign

Page 2 of 2
stucco is a drag to drive anchors into they wont hold that great
instead of doing it wrong maybe you should ask the sign person I am sure they have had enough call backs to know exactly what to use the first time.

When we owned a sign shop we would mount the signs, if the customer paid us to mount the sign, in one of a number of ways; based on what the customer wanted and was willing to pay for.
First thing up is we would use 6 screws to mount this size sign (never use a 2x4 when a 2x6 does just as well). The screws would be mounted, top, bottom and side, 4-5 inches in from the edges. So in your case there would be three along the top and three along the bottom.
We would use, again depending on costs, some form of stand-off, usually about an inch or so, depending on the mounting surface. The rougher the surface, the longer the stand-off; initiallly. You can use washers but we would use a solid plastic rod material. We would cut the rod down to the size we needed and then drill a hole through the center of each stand-off. The sign would be attached to the wall through the stand-offs.
To attach everything to the wall, we would use 2"-3" Tapcons.
If we screwed through the face of the sign, we would use small circular pieces of the same material used to form the letters of the sign and then apply these circular pieces over the screw heads; to hide them and make it "look like" the circles/dots we designed in.
Other additional cost items, which did improve the look of the sign...
We would screw the stand-offs to the wall first (after making the proper measurements and leveling things, of course). Then we would apply a piece of double-sided tape to the back of the sign in each upper corner to form an "L-bracket". To this tape we would stick some soft and light wood, like balsa wood. This wood would then allow us to "hang" the sign on the stand-offs while we made any minor adjustments (hopefully NOT). Then remove the sign, apply some quick- setting epoxy to the face/front/top of the stand-offs and then re "hang" the sign pressing it into the epoxy while the epoxy setup. After a few minutes or so, the epoxy cured enough that we could stop pressing the sign and then remove the wood and tape from the back of the sign.
Another extra cost item was we would pre-paint the stand-offs to match the color of the wall the sign was mounted to. This allowed the stand- offs to disappear and aloow the sign to appear as though it were "floating" of the surface of the wall.
As for how much to stand-off the sign from the wall... In our situations, we did not need to worry about "code". If the sign was legal where it was to be mounted, we just made sure there was enough room that anything that got behind the sign would not get caught, yet close enough to discourage birds from nesting and to allow the sign to "look good".
HTH

Thanks, GGA. Lots of good ideas here.
In your experience, do your customers typically pull a building permit for such a sign? (Note that I'm not asking if they *should* pull a permit...)
Thanks, Sparky

in my location, there are large fines for not doing so. one also requires a license to keep it there, and there are size and location limitations.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

In over four years I know of only 1 permit that was pulled. That does not mean the customers did not pull a permit but did not tell us. However, it "was" our responsibilty to know the law.
try something like this http://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat.html easy to install, and very secure.
Not to mention safe!
Jeff