Gutter Drain

I am getting ready to trench in some solid 4" tile for gutter drains, How deep should I go with this tile? Central Ohio.

Reply to
Brian Houghtby

Below frost line and above footing. Local building department or construction related folk should know local frost level. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Reply to
Glenn

I ran 4" PVC underground away from my house in Virginia. It averages about

6" below surface. Frost heaving is not a worry because the pipe has enough flexibility. If it were installed any deeper I would not have been able to have the water exit. It worked well with the 12" of rain we had a few weekends ago.
Reply to
S.t.e.v.e.

Thanks to all

Reply to
Shredder

I would go at least 4 feet below grade. Where I live in Canada, we get some major cold weather for amny months and 4 feet seems to get below the frost line. You could always just run it around the footings.

Cheers Marc

Reply to
CALS

Unless you are going to dump it into a cistern or well, I assume it has to daylight someplace and that end will freeze anyway so why bury it so deep? Why not let it spill onto a splash and go across the lawn where it can do some good during the summer months? You sit high enough for a deep line like that to drain?

Reply to
Glenn

We installed gutter drains last year (Washington state). We used inexpensive plastic drain pipes, the straight rigid kind, not the corrugated type.

I used premade catch basins I got from Lowes, so I set the farthest basin so the top grate was even with the ground. This put the pipe about 6 inches below the ground. I sloped the pipe 1/4" per foot, so the pipe ended up about two feet under the ground at it's deepest point (before the yard starts to slope down the hill again). I had to use risers for the other basins to bring the grate up to ground level.

Our drains end at the hillside at the edge of our yard. I installed rock and gravel where the drains discharge, and put a grated cap over the pipe end to keep out "critters".

I have to clean pine needles and other small debris from the discharge end once or twice a year, but otherwise the system works great.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband