Grey roof tiles are painted?

I have received a number of roof tile samples and I have noticed that the grey ones, which I want to use, seem to be painted or coated, whether they are clay or concrete.

So does this mean that the durability of the colour in clay against concrete only applies to the natural clay colour ones, such as the patina that develops in the clay tiles? What happens to this coating or paint over time?

Reply to
peternoon

Hi, Peter,

coated clay tiles always mean improved quality/durability. Those coatings are made of more or less the same material as the roofing tile itself (clay) but when burned they form much smoother and consistent surface which is less absorptive, harder than the non-coated tiles = more resistant against rains and hails, color-stable and also more algae/moss/mildew resistant.

Generally, you can buy 2 types of coated ceramic tiles, the coatings are called:

- engobe, if the clay used for coating also contains higher portion of metallic oxides (can be natural or industrially added). Engobe coated ceramic tiles are more shiny the glazed ones and

- glaze (enamel), these do not contain so much metallic oxides so are not that shiny.

BR

Vilo www.Roof> I have received a number of roof tile samples and I have noticed that

Reply to
RoofingChildsPlay

Historically speaking "new" building materials have often been met with scrutiny. Mostly mostly architects are undereducated f*cking idiots who have paid off policitians to make sure nobody can work without their permission despite they being as a group of collective retards who issue proclamations about building materials without any meaingful understanding of materal science.

So I would verify the science involved of course I note the material sciences has made leaps in progress after amazing discoveries have made it out of the lab and into the real world. For example, there are actually several types of "paint" that can collect solar energy and allow a surface coating to function like a battery. Who would have thunk it? Is that still paint" You see what I'm getting at?

Nano-technology is also an amazing and even sometimes scary technology that is already changing material science at a rapid pace.

Reply to
clintonG

If under the grey is a different color then it cant last as long as solid red tile, its a coating not color through.

Reply to
m Ransley

Some interesting comments here thanks

Reply to