"Green" Construction

Page 3 of 4

Since Malthus has been wrong for 200 years (and he refuted his earlier work), apparently he DIDN'T prevail.
You can remove your head from your ass any time now.
says...

We can ship food around the world to ameliorate the effects of drought and pestilence, but world food reserves are running on empty. Farmers around the world are responding to economic uncertainty by reducing the input of fertilizer on their crops. This will result in a (currently unknown) reduction in world food supply. Large seed companies like Cargill have been funding planting in Brazil and other South American countries. Due to the credit crunch, Cargill does not have the funds to do that this year. Up front planting funding in Brazil has been cut by 50%. It's quite likely that world food production will not meet demand next year. That means that instead of 250 million people living on inadequate diet, up to one billion people may feel the pinch of famine, and many millions will die.

You sound like a clueless urbanoid who thinks food comes from the supermarket.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

You sound like some kind of pavement punk trying to act like a grown up. I'm 61 years old, and still farming part of a donation land claim that my great, great grandfather filed in 1847. I have half a dozen family members who are still farming grain, row crops, vineyard, livestock and timber. I frequently talk with very smart, highly successful farmers, foresters and commodity traders. They are all quite aware of how fragile world food security is. It wouldn't take much to tip the world into food deficit. The economic crisis may do it. Drought or floods may do it. The sure thing is that it's going to happen in our lifetimes, even if you are over 60.
Unlike you, I follow the agricultural press closely. If you were actively involved in agriculture, you would already know the things I have been telling you, because they have been reported steadily for months. You just won't find it on Fox News or talk radio.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Voyager wrote:

If everyone who thinks the planet is over-populated would off themselves then the earth would instantly be back in balance.
--
Art

(Art) says...

One more scum bag who would rather kill someone than practice birth control. I suppose there will always be sociopaths with no sense of morals, but I'm saddened that you aren't ashamed.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
On 12/26/08 8:40 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

** 3 posters each knowing less about "planning" than his predecessor.
In article <430eb5eb-5252-4a83-8e9f-3f5e621228b9

You are quite right. Assuming a child is born at age 20, and you both live to age 80, the correct statement is that every child you have increases you ecological footprint by 66%. This is because it takes two people to have a child, so you personally only get dinged for half the damage an additional human does.
If we had a nicely declining population, we would have an adequate supply of housing for a long time. However, it is already too late for birth control to save any remnant of a natural planet. Doesn't building houses for the species responsible for destroying nature and calling it "green" strike you as a bit ironic?
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

That's nutty!
Then why are so many dense populations iprosperous and so many sparse populations impoverished?

So what? Carbon is good, it's plant food - and human production of CO2 is minisclue compared to natural sources.

You need to get dinged upside the head!

huh? care to post an example. Say for a dense population we use India? Care to name a sparse population that will show this is true? Remember, not just number of people per square KM, but a low number of people that can be supported on that KM.
Barrow) says...

Every prosperous population on the planet maintains its wealth by using up irreplaceable resources. Many of those resources could be conserved if the planet's population was reduced to between 750 million and 1.5 billion people.

Carbon is only one small part of the damage you are doing. In the USA alone, one million acres a year disappears under concrete and asphalt. That represents the total ecological destruction of that land. You will have been dead a thousand years and the survivors will still be dealing with the destruction you and your kind have done. Fisheries are collapsing. Large areas of the oceans on every continental shelf are turning into dead zones where nothing lives. This is all because there are too many people for the planet to support. Everything is running down and dying. Nothing is getting better. Do you see a trend there, or are you too stupid to open your eyes?

You need to be castrated.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
On 12/27/08 5:35 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news.peaksky.com,

** It would seem that Mr Caldwell could be in need of a brain transplant

Got to have something there in the first place...from what I've seen his limit is barfing the Malthusian BS. Ya' think it's take HIM 200 years to figure he's wrong?
Barrow) says...

He did get the time frame wrong, but there is good evidence that the Malthusian catastrophe has been under way for about 20 years, and is getting worse. So far it only killing about 10 million or 20 million people a year, mostly children, so you may not have noticed.
Pro-fertility is murder.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Why not?

Why do you feel the need to tell others how to live?
Evidently you haven't been watching the trends over the past couple decades.
That's not surprising given the thuggish tendencies of your sort.
Why don't you go first and exterminate yourself?
Go ahead...please.
On 12/27/08 1:43 PM, in article eHu5l.9987$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad, "Matt

** People will start dying as soon as the enviro- fascist alarmists find a way and remove 3 to 5% of the anthropogenic carbon dioxide on earth.

** How on earth did you arrive at that delusory scenario. It can only have come from that that gang of envirocriminals called the UN IPCC

( snipped-for-privacy@primus.ca) says...

Another clueless boob who thinks he isn't the one destroying the planet.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Surprise, surprise! The gang of parasites that has never produced anything but hot air and strife.

Good point. But why does that woman who had four kids feel it necessary to tell me that my Hummer is the problem?

Which ones. Probably haven't!

Reality is the issue. The earth is a limited resource.

Sure... Show me the way.

yep! Go for it. Read Soylent Green... (Or watch the movie if you can find it.)

Why do you give a crap what some ditz, who apparently has no (cognitive) skill beyond punching out kids, says?

In most of the industrialized world, population growth is flat and many nations (Japan, Russia, etc) are not re-producing enough to maintain parity.

Not really. Here's an example: In 1400, the "carrying capacity of North America was about million. What's it's population today?
The most scarse resource is between one's ears. If you don't have it yourself, you're not likely to recognize it in others.

Bullet in the mouth...take out the obdula oblongata..

I see: another punk lost in the shift between Hollyweird and reality. No small wonder.
Yes, you are indeed taking up useful resources.
Barrow) says...
Unlimited growth is the philosophy of the cancer cell. Eventually it kills the organism that spawned it.

Because if they keep doing what they are doing, they will kill everyone.

Which trends? The sea dying? Starvation increasing? Food reserves vanishing? Which trends did you have in mind?

Ah, the attacks begin.

There you go! Your kind believes the only solution is murder. You are willing to kill rather than restrain yourself.

When your children and grandchildren are sinking into desperate poverty and struggling for life, remember that you were the one who promoted it.