Granite Cutout

Page 1 of 2
What tool is used to make a sink cutout in 2cm granite ? I have been told to use a contour blade but I just don't get it would work.
Thanks, Curt
To install a new cooktop I had to enlarge the existing cutout in my 3/4" granite countertop. I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond masonry disk. This worked like a charm. You will need a good quality respirator (not a nuisance dust mask) and eye protection.
Jeff

That's what I thought. So you don't cut it, you kinda grind it, huh ? Thanks very much for your response.

you cut it... the diamond blade will do it easily...
Jeff

I used this grinder: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId`502-70-D28110&lpage=none
with this blade: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId666-70-DW4701&lpage=none
Jeff

Right, I've done a ton of cutting and it's cake but in order to get the nice rounded edges for an underrmount sink you need to grind, right ? Someone told me to use a contour blade. I bought one but I'm not sure how to use it.
Curt

What are you putting in the cutout that requires nice round corners? Both my cast iron sink, and JennAir cooktop have wide mounting flanges, that will hide rough corners in the cutout.
When the original professional installer put in the countertop the cutouts were only partially made before the countertop was set. The long straight cuts were made in his shop but the corners were still attached. Once the countertop was installed he built cribbing to support the cutout from bellow, then used an angle grinder to complete the cut. Admittedly the corners were rough, but the appliance mounting flange covered them and all was well. When I re-cut the hole for my new JennAir cooktop it actually required square corners.
I few thoughts about the diamond cutting disk I used. It is designed for straight cuts, and while it can be to shape a curve it requires some patience and skill. There might be other disks or bits that are better suited for curved profiles.
Jeff

I'm using under mount sinks which don't have flanges to hide the cutout.

Finally.... A chance for me to give an opinion........... Undermount sinks are a fad, and overrated. The overhang of the countertop where it mates with the fixture is a difficult spot to keep clean and a great location for bacteria to grow and stains to set.
Jeff

Not to mention you'll never be able to change the sink again.
--
Steve Barker

"Jeff" < snipped-for-privacy@NoSpamLamSam.com> wrote in message
Of course you can change the sink.

Oh really? And just how is the sink supported? You'd have to remove whatever is holding it there to get a new on in. And then it would have to fit through the cabinet doors. Do explain.....
--
Steve Barker

"crhras" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Seems to me like you did a pretty good job of explaining it.

The countertop shouldn't overhang the sink.

Some things are best left to the experts and in my humble opinion, cutting granite definitely falls into that category. The results of an error may be unfixable.
Call a local granite fabricator and see what they will charge. I had an extra hole drilled in my countertop after installation for a soap dispenser. It cost me $100. Well worth it considering what a mess I could have made in a $3,500 piece of stone not to mention what I would have had to listen to from my wife if I had screwed it up.
Don't have a wife, brother, and that's why I'm cuttin the granite.

news:yAKxh.7925 I had : > an extra hole drilled in my countertop after installation for a soap : > dispenser. It cost me $100.
Saw them do this the other day on this old house the episode before the wrap party for the Boston home they are finishing this week. He put a diamond hole saw in a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. They build a little dam around the hole site with duct tape and filled it with water to lube the hole. Looking at that bit I would bet it cost more than a hundred bucks.
peace dawg : :

Bingo!!
They got the tools, they got the expertise. You got the idea you can do it yourself.
All I'm saying is weigh the options.
wrote in message

Diamond core bits can be rented rather cheaply.
From my calculations, if I spend $1000 on tools, I'm still coming out way ahead on this project alone given the amount of granite I need and the way fabricators mark the stone up.