Grading around a house

Hi,
For grading around a building according to BOCA 1996 according to my reading the slope needs to be 1 inch per foot for a minimum of 8 feet. This sounds pretty aggressive. I was wondering whether more recent codes have modified this requirement for a house with a basement. I am researching this question a house in NJ.
Regards.. G

I believe it is now 6" in the first ten feet.
In a previous post guruocont wrote...

1/8" per foot is only 1%. Pretty hard to control grades flatter than that. 6 inches in 10 feet is 0.5%. Darn near impossible to control without some serious surveying help.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

What? You don't use Ron Popeil's Pocket Laser Grader? Press a button and you have a level plane, uniform to within 0.001", within seconds!

I believe the OP means 1" / foot, or 8%, extending over an 8 foot wide band around the house.

Umm, 6 inches in 10 feet is 5%.
Wayne
In a previous post Wayne Whitney wrote...

My bad! Guess the coffee hasn't kicked in yet today.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

How about a level and a tape measure? 3 is right there between 2 and 4! :)
Around here it is 6" in the first 5' or 5" in the first 6'. Never could remember which but never had an inspector actually stretch out a level and check it. Common sense. although it is usually in short supply, usually rules. g[]

You're quoting a grade that's equivalent to a 1 on 12 pitch roof. Otherwise known due to that pitch as a flat roof.
I would be very aggressive, at least to the drip line. Then do the flat roof thing. Dave

The question is what does code require. Code is 6" in 10 feet. A standard slope for drainage is often quoted as 1/4" per foot-- 6" in 10 feet exceeds that. Steeper slopes might be nice, but can create their own difficulties on the uphill side.