geo domes

we are currently in the process of building three geo domes, any one out there who has experience in coatings for the exterior? we are thinking of dryvits for a coating, and could not find much info on it. using shingles is hard to do because of roundness of dome itself, so using an alternative coating would be nice, including the fact that the dryvit could be colored to any desired color. i know that dryvit is just one of many out there for an elastomeric coating, but the most familar to me. problems i couln't find is =

  1. is it waterproof?

  1. ease of application?

  2. is foam neccessary to achieve application?

  1. how long will coating last before deteriorating?

  2. is a base coat neccessary before adding dryvit?

thanks to all who respond, this is a project we thought of alternative housing, with alternative finishs and such, these homes will be off the grid using 12 and 24 volt technology through out the home. mike

Reply to
spiritrising

Dryvit is a brand of EIFS. It is a great exterior "siding" when applied correctly. I am not aware of it ever being used as a roofing material and do not think it would fall into the elastomeric category. It is an acrylic modified portland cement product. It is labor intensive and I think it would be at least twice as hard to apply as shingles.

Shingles would be the roofing material of choice on geodesics I have seen. I have seen them done in cedar shingle and asphalt.

Elastomeric would make a good finish on a sprayed foam roof. You might check here if you don't know about the system: ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

dryvit might be a brand of eifs, but i am more interested in the waterborne breathable elastomeric coating to which that is what they use on top of the foam, or it can be called a synthetic based grout, i have seen it trowled on and sprayed on, but not neccessaryly on foam, but on many materials. was hoping some one had an experience with it on other than foam. to which i do have experience.. . i have the moisture problem solved with a breathable space using 2x6 instead of other framing with air flow up and down the walls (roof) so moiture containment is negligable. mike

Reply to
spiritrising