Gas Pipe - how long can I go?

My house is being renovated. Got rid of the oil and switching to gas. Half the house has a crawl space, the other half is on grade (with 10" floor joists). A new gas line will be run from the street. The question is where to put the gas meter. My contractor wants to put it near the side of the house adjacent to the crawl space. Makes sense, but it would be unsightly. I want to put it out of sight, which means near the side of the house without a crawl space. This would entail running the gas pipe under the floor of the house for about 29' until it reaches the crawl space. The contractor doesn't want to do this because he doesn't want to end up with any unaccessible gas pipe joints (i.e., burried under the finished floor).
Question: is there some sort of code compliant gas pipe that's very long (and flexible and comes on a spool), that could span the distance I need without having to join multiple sections? How can I solve this problem?
Thanks, AABob

First question that pops up...Why not go around the house? Don't think I'd want a joint in an inaccessible spot. A flex line and a one of those trenchers that just cuts a very narrow line and feeds the pipe in at the same time. No ditch. Your gas co. will have ALL your answers.
AABob wrote:

THAT is the gas company's call. In our area, they no longer allow any piping on the customer side of the meter to be buried, so all meters are up next to the house when the line needs to be changed or on new const.
steve
If I understand you, you mean that there is still conventional floor but it is so low that it would not be possible to get under. There is flexible stainless steel plastic covered gas line now. It can run the length you are talking about as long as you do not mean literally buried in dirt or concrete.

Just remember a longer line needs to be bigger and a Manometer test must be done figuring in low winter pressure and all adds on you may do in your lifetime there. Dont guess, have in writing what flow you must test at.

Yes, that is also needed. Make sur eyou have a big enough line or you will have problems when multiple appliances kick on at the same time.
AABob wrote:

Another poster mentioned gas line made from corrugated stainless and covered with yellow polyethylene - one such product is Gastite. Your building department, and particularly your gas utility will have very specific requirements for anything you do. You convenience doesn't even make it into the requirements footnotes. You may not be able to snake a line under the house and not have it supported. They may prefer to see it buried. Pick up the phone and call the utility.
As Rico and others have mentioned, check with your local code official, most utility companies don't care what you do beyond their meter as long as the code official is happy. We've installed several hundreds of feet of flex gas tubing above ceilings for school renovations (science labs) in one jurisdiction and hard piping with welded connections were required in another. Ask your local code official, "right or wrong" they make the decision regardless of the code. It's not worth fighting them if they want hard pipe.
Tom

These guys are right about the inspector. What he wants is a big factor. The stainless steel flex probabaly will need to be supported with something to pass code rather than just laying on the ground. So you need to install it before you put down the floor.