Garage Framing Question

Hello,

I am converting my garage into a living room, and have a question about framing.

I have 11 foot ceilings, soon to be 10 foot once I add the floor. 7' is 2x4, and the bottom

3' is concrete block.

Of course, the block sticks out further than the 2x4. I need advice on how best to even this wall out. I want to add a 1x3 or 2x3 frame from floor to ceiling, and then drywall.

I've been told that 4" of insuation (R13) is enough, so I do not intend to bring out the 2x4 any further.

This new frame will be flush against my block, but there will be a

7"+ gap between the frame and the 2x4's.

Two questions:

(1) Will a 1x3 frame be strong enough to support 10' of drywall? Or do I need a 2x3?

(2) What do I do with the 7"+ gap between the frame and the existing

2x4's? Do I leave it alone, pack with more insulation ???

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
wrldruler

10'? 2x4... Talk to your local building inspector. You might get away with 2x3, but for 10' I doubt it. I wouldn't try, myself.

A stepped wall perhaps?

Reply to
PeterD

You might consider using the inboard edge of the block wall up to about 36 inches above the floor then stepping back to the original 2 x 4 wall line, thus creating a shelf as the other responder mentioned, this would provide place for display around the room, trophies, knick knacks, etc. common in relaxation areas, plus by staying closer to a regular wall thickness you'll make trimming windows, etc. much easier.

Come to think of it though, if you make the rest of the wall at least 6 inches thick, you'll save on heating down the line with the additional insulation you'll be able to use.

Good luck,

Jonathan

-- I've posted some articles I've written at:

check them out.

Reply to
Jonathan Wye