Garage Door Jambs

I have visited a number of houses in various stages of construction to get ideas for a garage I'm building. I have noticed what appears to be plastic garage door jambs with a wood grain on the face and 1 1/4" thick. Does anyone know who makes these jambs or what they are called?

Should the rough framing for a 9' x 7' garage door be exactly that size or should I add 2 1/2" making 9' 2 1/2" wide and 7' 1 1/4" high?

Reply to
spebby_92

Probably PVC. Check out this site and see if it looks like it:

Azek is just one supplier and there are many different profiles.

As far as the garage door goes, you should contact the garage door company that is going to supply you with a door and ask them what your finished opening size should be. Some are exact and some are oversize. Depends on what door you get.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Framed size width can vary. Depends on the hardware allowances, and actual width of door.

The jamb should be near outside from the door, but not actually contact the door. I like rough sawn cedar for this. The weatherstripping should be only thing contacting the outside of the door.

The easiest way is to measure the garage door you're going to use. Don't be afraid to "overengineer" the king studs (number of studs) and header for the door frame. Know you're using treated lumber (or cedar or redwood) for the sides and top exposed to the weather.

You might consider fabricating flashing to put above the door before placing siding above it or whatnot. Dave

Reply to
Dave