Gable vents -- wind, rain, and heat

Hi, folks,
About once every year or so, when the wind blows just right, I can get water dripping from the tops of two window frames in my house. These two windows are located directly beneath gable vents in my attic. Every time I see the drips, I think that there's something wrong with the windows -- and then I remember! The leaks happen rarely enough that I usually forget about them completely, until the next time (which, in this case, was yesterday). Maybe I'll follow through this time?
I recently had a solar PV system installed and, while I had the roofers up there, I had them install a ridge vent. The PV engineer had some background in solar thermal as well as PV, and told me that the ridge vent would improve passive convection in the attic. It seems to have worked. It's cooler in the house during the summer than it was before. The engineer told me that I could make the system work even better if I sealed off my gable vents. With the gable vents closed off, air would only be able to enter the attic space through the soffit vents. Supposedly, this configuration would enhance the chimney effect in the attic space.
So now, I have two possible reasons to seal off the gable vents. My questions are:
1) Do these reasons sound valid to you?
2) Why am I getting water in my gable vents at all? The winds here are not exactly gale-force. Is this a design flaw? Is there an installation problem I should be looking for? The house was built in 1970, and the vents are original construction.
3) If I close off the vents, are there right and wrong ways to do it?
Thanks for your help!
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ | Ladasky Home Solar, Inc.: blowing sunshine up your | | power grid since March 24, 2005. Fiat lux! | +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ | Uptime Downtime kWh generated kWh consumed | | 612 days 6.5 hours 11244 11501 | +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
I would find out where the water is really coming from before I did anything to the vents.

Are you sure there are soffit vents? Houses are not usually constructed with both soffit vents and gable vents. It's not necessary and it can acutally cause rain or snow to be drawn in through the gable vents.
I would check to make sure soffit vents exist before sealing the gable vents.

My current house has no gables ;-) My previous homes had both soffit and gable vents.

I had a rain problem with some windows. It wasn't associated with vents. Water would sheet down the wall above the windows, and pool on the window frame, running freely through crack where there should have been some caulking.
This would only happen on a gable end because the top of the window frame was shielded by the eaves on the other walls.
--
---

Funny, everyone else I've talked with about this thought the soffit and gable vents went together, and you did not need other roof vents.
My current home (built mid-1970's) has both soffit and gable vents. Originally it had no roof vents, but a large attic fan was added in the 1980's. Several passive roof vents were added during a re-roof ca 1992.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Remember framing houses in that period. That was the norm, one gable vent either side and some soffit vents.
For the ridge venting to work in tangent with the soffit vents, yes, the gable venting area should be framed in and closed off. You may need more soffit vents though. And the attic insulation must be cleared to allow air to move from the soffit area to the ridge.