Gable trim and porch beam trim--advice?

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for the encouragement, Ken!
- John
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

Yeah Yeah, a house is a box of wood, a home is created by the humor of those in it. Some poster threw OCD at you, I resented that, but what can I do, I think you're doing great and like the way you're sharing a nice part of you're family life as they acquire a new home. Great stuff... Also liked how you solved the stair problem. Ken

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

The only place that a client lets the architect make all the decisions is on TV. In real life they're an expert resource - a paid resource.

Since when? You've been polling groups for months on every esthetic decision. Why would you do that if you knew what you liked? The odds of the regualrs on this newsgroup having the same taste or opinion on most things is rather slim. 'Cepting ugly - everybody knows ugly. I don't understand what a text based reply, with a few pictures scattered about will tell you about the poster's taste and experience. And you're basing your home design on the replies.
How are you weighting the answers you receive? One vote per poster? Extra credit for being polite? You started a snipe hunt and you don't even know you're on it.

See above re:architects.

Consult professionals...uh huh. You mean like polling newsgroups for free advice? Was the supervision oversight on the stairwell opening a good, intelligent decision?

Your objectives are fine, but your methodology is lame. By the time you figure out what it is you want (ie - settle on the first solution that seems to fit the bill), you'll be building it. Let me know how that works out with the detail stuff.
People post on these newsgroups asking what something should cost. Some don't even indicate where the project is located as if they're expecting prices to be uniform throughout the country. Some goodhearted souls trying to be helpful might toss out a number. I find that pointless. Even if the number is the "correct" number, unless the poster can locate a contractror that they trust (that's first for a reason), is qualified and that is willing to do the job for that number, it isn't a correct number. It's misleading.
Your approach to this is one step above, and below, the innocent "How much should it cost?" question. You're in a bigger project, with more risk and more possibilities for screwups. You've already had a taste of that. In a nutshell, what you're doing is spending your time and effort in an attempt to offset inexperience. You will have a very short, very painful learning curve. That is how construction works. If you can figure out a way to get around that, start a business - you'll be filthy rich within months.
You might end up with a good home after all is said and done. If you had acknowleged your inexperience and were willing to modify your approach you could have ended up with a great project for the same amount of time and money. That's the shame. That's your loss.

Are you sure? Maybe we could take a poll...

This reminds me of a quote I came across some time ago. Something like:
"There are those who are eminently successful, and spare no effort, in getting others to help them take their thumbs out of their asses, wipe them clean, and stick them in their mouths." -- anon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTFSF ?

Not to be confused with spammer.
Warm Worm wrote:

Or with a professional.

White marble always seems to hold up. The most finicky person can't deny its beauty and durability. A copper backing over stainless steel may be needed. Dimensions are already governed by the basic dwg you provided.
--
Jonny

try azek trimboards. siding butts to it and gets caulked. makes for a really nice look, and maintenance free.
www.azek.com http://www.azek.com/pdfs/Trimboard%20Sheet.pdf http://www.azek.com/pdfs/AZEK_Photo_pages.pdf
I have a sample of this stuff on my desk right now, and it feels good. It looks good. It has a 25 year warranty, painted or unpainted.