Gable trim and porch beam trim--advice?

Page 1 of 2
We need some advice on trim for our new house. Please see a close-up look at our front elevation so you know what I'm referring to...
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/images/TrimQuestion.gif
We're wondering about the gable trim and the porch beam trim. What material should we use? (preferably maintenance-free) And for the gable trim, what dimensions?
Here's some additional information about the house...
Siding: Rollex sage green vinyl clapboard-style Siding corners: Rollex white vinyl corner trim Roof fascia and soffit: white aluminum Window trim: Fypon for top trim and Azek vinyl trim boards for sides and bottoms, all painted white Porch columns: HB&G 8" square composite columns painted white Porch railing system: HB&G PVC white railing and ballusters
So where does the gable trim and porch beam trim fit into this?
Regarding the gable trim, the guy who drew up our plans penciled in "5-in. lineal." Is that a good width? (The fascia is 6" and our window trim is 3-1/2" lineal.) What material would look good wedged between the sage green vinyl and the white aluminum soffit? I was thinking white aluminum like the fascia and soffit material, but how would that be done to avoid a wavy, rippled-looking vinyl-wrapped board look?
Regarding the porch beams, I know they're going to be 8" tall and wide, but what material? Again, since the fascia and soffit are white aluminum, maybe white aluminum would look best? If so, how would that be built? ...just with lumber and then wrapped with aluminum? Again, I'd like to avoid that wavy, rippled vinyl-wrapped wood look if there's risk of that when using aluminum. ...maybe clad in white vnyl Azek boards? Any ideas?
Our builder does not have a strong opinion on these issues, and he's asking us what we want--I think because he knows we're picky. So I'm trying to do some research and find out what would look best combined with the other materials we're using. All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, John
snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

Aren't you supposed to go ask your wife what SHE wants?
My wife does not have an opinion on the matter. She would probably say, "It should be white." I was looking for a little more along the lines of technical advice. Thanks, though.
- John
Pat wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

Once more to the well, eh?
To summarize: you're picky (can't think of a worse combination than picky and indecisive), your wife doesn't care, and you're being indecisive about something as personal as color selection. I'm sorry, you're right - asking random people about what they'd like on your house makes perfect sense.
Why don't you just go buy into a nice condo association or gated community where all of the decisions can be made for you? Wouldn't that be a huge relief? I know it would be for me.
You really need to get some help. We're hanging out asking questions and (some) providing answers, and you're just lurking around, waiting for an opportunity to make negative comments, not to mention the stalker aspect of your harrassment in that you target specific people and follow their posts across multiple newsgroups in order to harrass them. Yours is classic sociopathic behavior. Kind of funny. Sad for you, though.
By the way, I wasn't asking for color advice. I was asking for technical advice on what products/materials to use. You would have realized that if you had read my post closely, but you were too busy stalking some anonymous dude in a Usenet discussion group. Next time why don't you just wack-off first. You might find that the urge to stalk is diminished, until the next time at least.
- John
RicodJour wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

Hey, I can't help you. Up here, the answer to everything is coil stock. You can get it any color that the contractor has with him (which is only white). I mean, come on, look at the guys putting garage roof on next door. You think they go for any hi-tech options?

What's "coil stock?"
Pat wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

Big ole coil of aluminum that siding contractors carry with them for cover EVERYTHING that they can't figure out how to put vinyl on. Used for "trim" on windows, posts, doors, and just about else that'll take a nail.

LOL
I'm an Internet marketing professional by trade, and my hobbies include information technology, music, movies, philosophy, disc golf, and playing with my wife and kids. Based on that, am I supposed to know what "coil stock" means? Is that what you're laughing about? If so, do you laugh at your clients (assuming you have clients) when they ask questions? If you do, I feel sorry for you and your small penis. (It's a Freudian thing.)
- John
Don wrote:

You have some serious personality disorders, boy. This is emphasized by your repeated mention of men's penis's.
Your contractor is having a field day with your stupid ass and you're too dumb to even realize it. Or maybe you do, and the relationship between you, the contractor and the *dood that did the plans* is such that neither of them will address your concerns anymore because they each are tired of your incessant whining, so you are left to make yourself look even further like a baffoon in various newsgroups. The contractor is gonna take your ass to the woodshed but good on closing day, unless he sues you in court first. LOL
Some internet marketing professional, can't even copy/paste 2 words in google to find the meaning. LOL Incidently, buying and selling garage sale cast-oofs on Ebay is NOT internet marketing.
You're right about one thing though, your obsession about men's penis's IS a freudian thing and no one knows this better than your Stepford wife.
You're done around these parts, stupid ass, move along, once again you've worn out your welcome. Fuckin' nitwit........
wrote

John, you need to look at catalogs from a siding distributor to get ideas. There are hundreds of trim products that the guys at Home Depot never heard of.
Companies like Norandex/Reynolds make a lineal surround, either flat or fluted. It looks like a 1x4 or 1x6 with a built-in channel along one edge to accept the siding without needing a separate J-channel. It would work great in your application, used to trim out a rake. Here is a link to their website, the photo of the house on the page uses the 5 1/2" flat surround on a rake pretty much like yours:
http://www.norandexreynolds.com/Products/Exterior%20Accents.aspx
They don't have a good closeup, here is a link to some of my work that uses the lineal surround:
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dthompson4389/house-surround.jpg

There are dozens of options for post cladding. I like Sherline's fluted column cladding, it is a 4-piece system that snaps in place and includes finish molding for the top and bottom. My Norandex distributor handles it. As for the fascia around the porch, they can be wrapped in aluminum custom bent to the contours. I like to finish the wrap against the ceiling of the porch by bending the trim to snap over a board so no visible fasteners are inside the porch. Here is a link to my porch, showing a fluted column and wrap-around trim snapped over a 1x2 (the top of the column still needs the finish molding):
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dthompson4389/house-corner.jpg
You need a creative trim guy. Here are a couple of things I like to do. One is a ribbed fascia that looks much better than just a plain, flat fascia. It is made using a Tapco Brake Buddy to mold the ribs.:
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dthompson4389/house-gable.jpg
I like to fabricate a combination brick mold with built-in J for high end work. I never use J-channel to frame windows and doors for my best work. Here is a picture of the small ones I used on my house, it is also made with the Brake Buddy and a half-dozen other bends:
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~dthompson4389/house-brick-mold.jpg
-- Dennis
Excellent information! I really appreciate all the links to photos. You're very helpful. Much appreciated. I'm going to go through our siding catalogs to find an appropriate product. I should be able to find a Rollex product that will match our white corner trim.
Thanks, John
DT wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote:

Congratulations on your discovery. Opening the catalogs is an _excellent_ place to start. I hear the internet has oodles of information - free, too. I'm sure that will appeal to you.
People on these newsgroups took you to task for forging ahead half-cocked on your own without hiring design help. Then, miraculously, you divulged you were really working with an architect, which makes your mention of the "the guy who drew up our plans" a little odd. Now, instead of talking to "the guy who drew up our plans" or your builder, you're asking for essentially random input.
No doubt if you're effusive in your thanks people will overlook the fact that you're too cheap to hire someone to help with your indecision. If you hadn't lied from the start about what you were doing I wouldn't be busting your balls.
The fuckups you're experiencing are directly caused by your attempt to learn architecture and construction while building your house. At the end of the project, tally how much time you wasted, how much you had to redesign or rework, and how much money you spent unnecessarily due to your attempt to save a few bucks.
You shouldn't take the stuff I write too personally. I don't know who you are or anything about you. Believe it or not, these newsgroups aren't about you. Consider my feedback (you did say all feedback welcome) a public service for those people that come after you and are considering building a house without sufficient assistance. I hope they'll search the newsgroups and be able to follow your project's ups and downs. And I hope you emerge at the other end still married and were able to contain your inevitable cost overruns to under 30%.
Your posts are filled with venom, silly assumptions about what I'm doing with my project, and downright inaccurate comments about my previous posts. Get a life, weirdo. Go participate in a discussion group where you actually have some expertise to contribute, like alt.sociopaths.stalking.how-to.
- John
RicodJour wrote:

Actually, I'm enjoying the process, we're right on budget, and our project is very econmical. I think, when it's finished, it will be impressive what we've created with $240K. Yeah, I could spend $5K, $10K, or $20K, on an architect and just leave everything up to them, but I don't *WANT* to leave all the decisions up to others. We do have our own personal tastes, after all. I think there is this misconception by some that, if somone is not an expert in a particular field, then they should just hand off all decision making to someone that *is* an "expert." I disagree. The intelligent thing to do is to do research, consult professionals, and then make good, intelligent decisions. In some cases, I don't even know what the options are, but that doesn't mean that I don't still want to make the decision; it just means that I first need to find out what the options are, analyze them, and make a decision, which is what I'm doing. I realize that this approach is not in the best interests of certain underemployed mediocre "architects," but I think that most truly good professional architects would approve of my process, especially since we did pay an architect to draw up our original plans which were based on a plan book/website drawing.
Yeah, I think our house is going to look and feel great, it's going to be practical/economical, our marriage is stronger than ever, we're both very well employed and in no danger of losing our jobs, and, in general, I have no complaints. The only complaints seem to be coming from a certain obsessed Usenet stalker who has absolutely nothing to do with our situation. But that's okay, because it's our house, and all that matter's is that *we* are happy with it. In the meantime, I appreciate the input from those truly helpful folks who participate in these discussion groups. Sometimes the answers are not what I'm hoping for, but if they're objective and helpful answers, they're still appreciated, and I can tell the difference.
- John
Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

When we were building our new home we were *right on budget* right up until we set down at the closing table and the law was laid down. Everything costs more than it costs and takes longer than it takes. Fact.
Don wrote:

And this from a guy who has _infinitely_ more construction knowledge and experience than you, John. Fact.
RicodJour wrote:

The interior is 80%, where does the microwave go, I want an extra freezer, what color is the toilet seat, should it be padded? Not to mention the kitty litter box. Lately, you drink a lot dear, we'll need a urinal, in your _upstairs_ bedroom. It's just beginning, I'm betting on John, he sounds like a survivor. Yours Incureably Optimistically ;-) Ken