Frame over basement windows?

I have 2 basement windows that are unusable since they are covered by a large deck. I want to finish my basement and am thinking of just framing over the windows and sheetrocking over them. I could insulate them pretty good to prevent moisture issues.
Is this a bad idea, or should I remove the windows (they are in concrete) and do something else....and what is the somethign else?
forgot to mention I live in upstate NY, so we get weather.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

code issue alert:(
most code require basement windows. no windows cause ventilation troubles espically if theres a water leak...
have you considered new windows in another location say other side of basement.
what you decide today can cause big troubles when you decide to sell
you could put metal grates at the deck, they would allow some light and ventialtaion, probably good for the underside of the deck.
are these ingress egress windows you propose removing?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I also have 2 windows under a deck. When it was time to replace windows in my house, I replaced the basement windows as well. I'm glad I kept them for ventilation purposes.
I have 3 other windows and a door (walk out) in the basement...I am wondering if it is a big deal to remove/reframe these 2 windows. I don't think I will have a ventilation issue.
Mikepier wrote:

On 26 Sep 2006 07:44:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Nobody knows what you mean by "A big deal", and nobody knows what you're trying to accomplish by doing so.
*I* would leave the opening, and pipe either light (with a flexible sun-pipe) or air, with ductwork, or both, from the far side of the deck, because there's never enough light or air in a basement. That said, no, there's no reason you couldn't frame over the hole. If you're going to do that, though, you probably should take the window out completely, and fill the hole with bricks, blocks or rocks and a weak mortar. (in case you ultimately decide to take it out again.) Leaving the window, or trying to fill the hole with wood framing is an invitation to leaks, rot, and vermin.
--goedjn
I'd bet that someday for some reason you'll need to get to the inside of those windows.
Having once lived in a basement with windows just like you describe, it was still nice to open them from time to time for airflow. There wasn't much of a view, of course.
-rev
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Consider them as emergency exits, rather than windows with a view.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Have you thought about framing the deck around the windows so that light still makes it to the basement? They can still act as an emergency egress if necessary. Also the appearance might make it stand out over so many square balconies.
Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

I don't see any problems in doing this. Insulation wont stop moisture though, unless you mean sweat if you climate control your basement. If that's what you want to do its your house and you shouldn't have any issues doing it
kickstart