foundation window support

I'm told that code requires a lintel for a 36" wide window when placed at the top of a concrete foundation wall. I've looked at many basements lately and it appears that the tops of windows are at the same level as the top of the foundation wall meaning that there are no lintels. Is there an alternative method of support that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance K
It's common to use the edge joist as the load-carrying member. (No splices in the mud sill or edge joist over opening.) Be considered a single header joist up to 4 ft. 502.10