Formula for cement is what?

Notice I said "CEMENT" not concrete! No, I am not looking to go buy premixed bags either. Searching google, gives me a zillion hits on the basic standard mixing of concrete.
I know cement is basically sand and lime(stone) right? What kind of sand and limestone and how many parts of each?
Just curious to know since google doesn't want to cooperate.
On 6/29/2011 11:37 PM, richard wrote:

Google is your friend on this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_cement
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Sorry, Richard, you will not be making cement. It is made by cooking limestone and then pulverizing the resulting clinker. The temperature for scintering the raw materials is around 2700 degrees. The crushers and grinders involved would be beyond DIY abilities and resources.
The Romans had developed an hydraulic cement that was not rediscovered until the mid 1800's. The Romans used volcanic pozzolins with lime which ended up quite similar to today's cement, though closer to what we call mortar.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:38:23 -0500, DanGLT wrote:

Now that's what I wanted to know, thanks.