Forging ahead with Addition

Here are snippets from October when I posed some questions to the board. We're forging ahead with this project and documenting it all on

1,374 SF Home Addition All 9 messages in topic - view as tree From: Katrina - view profile Date: Fri, Oct 20 2006 8:51 am Email: "Katrina" Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Hi! We're about to expand our house, a 24 x 48 rectangle, by adding on a 1,374 SF 2-story floorplan we found which is also a rectangular shape

- should be easy to build (no complicated rooflines, bumpouts, etc). What I'm looking for is perhaps a website that takes you through the process and each step one by one, from obtaining the permit to the final inspection. Does anyone know of a site like this? If not, I'm sure there are books on the topic. What titles should I look for?

From: Bob Morrison - view profile Date: Fri, Oct 20 2006 3:44 pm Email: Bob Morrison Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Hi! We're about to expand our house, a 24 x 48 rectangle, by adding on > a 1,374 SF 2-story floorplan we found which is also a rectangular shape > - should be easy to build (no complicated rooflines, bumpouts, etc). > What I'm looking for is perhaps a website that takes you through the > process and each step one by one, from obtaining the permit to the > final inspection. Does anyone know of a site like this? If not, I'm > sure there are books on the topic. What titles should I look for?

I suggest you hire a local house designer or architect to help with the

process. It will be money well spent unless you intend to go into the construction business and want to learn all the vagaries of the permit process.

-- Bob Morrison, PE, SE R L Morrison Engineering Co Structural & Civil Engineering Poulsbo WA bob at rlmorrisonengr dot com

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: Italian Mason - view profile Date: Tues, Oct 24 2006 9:03 pm Email: "Italian Mason" Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

1374 sf 2 story addition, your asking for step by step help and you say

--"should be easy to build"???? What in the world would lead you to believe building an addition slightly smaller than most average track houses "would be easy to build". ...wait its comming to me...you have been watching home improvement shows and you are now ready right?

Think of it this way when you see a program on heart surgery you wouldnt plan on operating on family member would you? So when you watch DIY or the Home channel dont try to build a house, its not as easy as they make it look.

Paying professionals to do the work they do is well worth the money. Trust me putting on an addition of that size while still living on the property is going to require more than you think from your family just to live through the process let alone do all the work as well....

Katr> Hi! We're about to expand our house, a 24 x 48 rectangle, by adding on

a 1,374 SF 2-story floorplan we found which is also a rectangular shape > - should be easy to build (no complicated rooflines, bumpouts, etc). > What I'm looking for is perhaps a website that takes you through the > process and each step one by one, from obtaining the permit to the > final inspection. Does anyone know of a site like this? If not, I'm > sure there are books on the topic. What titles should I look for?

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: Katrina - view profile Date: Wed, Oct 25 2006 12:12 pm Email: "Katrina" Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

We're buying the blueprints from a floorplan site online. It's a perfect rectangle with no complicated rooflines or bumpouts, etc. It's a garage in the front with a 2-story greatroom behind and a master suite up top. I know I'll have to get an architect on board to help design the placement so that it butts up to the existing dwelling. Surely there must be a start to finish checklist/project timeline online for someone who wants to add on to their house. That's all I'm looking for with this question, not nay-sayers.

Italian Mas> 1374 sf 2 story addition, your asking for step by step help and you say

--"should be easy to build"???? What in the world would lead you to > believe building an addition slightly smaller than most average track > houses "would be easy to build". ...wait its comming to me...you have > been watching home improvement shows and you are now ready right? > Think of it this way when you see a program on heart surgery you > wouldnt plan on operating on family member would you? So when you > watch DIY or the Home channel dont try to build a house, its not as > easy as they make it look. > Paying professionals to do the work they do is well worth the money. > Trust me putting on an addition of that size while still living on the > property is going to require more than you think from your family just > to live through the process let alone do all the work as well.... > Katr> > Hi! We're about to expand our house, a 24 x 48 rectangle, by adding on > > a 1,374 SF 2-story floorplan we found which is also a rectangular shape > > - should be easy to build (no complicated rooflines, bumpouts, etc). > > What I'm looking for is perhaps a website that takes you through the > > process and each step one by one, from obtaining the permit to the > > final inspection. Does anyone know of a site like this? If not, I'm > > sure there are books on the topic. What titles should I look for?

From: Bob Morrison - view profile Date: Wed, Oct 25 2006 1:30 pm Email: Bob Morrison Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

We're buying the blueprints from a floorplan site online. It's a > perfect rectangle with no complicated rooflines or bumpouts, etc. It's > a garage in the front with a 2-story greatroom behind and a master > suite up top. I know I'll have to get an architect on board to help > design the placement so that it butts up to the existing dwelling. > Surely there must be a start to finish checklist/project timeline > online for someone who wants to add on to their house. That's all I'm > looking for with this question, not nay-sayers.

If you are going to hire an architect anyway why don't you just have that person provide with all the necessary services.

Sheesh! I can never figure out people who look to save a few bucks on what is probably the largest investment of their life. Makes no sense to me.

-- Bob Morrison, PE, SE R L Morrison Engineering Co Structural & Civil Engineering Poulsbo WA bob at rlmorrisonengr dot com

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: RicodJour - view profile Date: Thurs, Oct 26 2006 8:41 am Email: "RicodJour" Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Katr> We're buying the blueprints from a floorplan site online. It's a

perfect rectangle with no complicated rooflines or bumpouts, etc. It's > a garage in the front with a 2-story greatroom behind and a master > suite up top. I know I'll have to get an architect on board to help > design the placement so that it butts up to the existing dwelling. > Surely there must be a start to finish checklist/project timeline > online for someone who wants to add on to their house. That's all I'm > looking for with this question, not nay-sayers.

No one said you can't do it. People are telling you what you should do. You posted on this newsgroup to get some experienced opinions. You're getting them.

As far as a checklist/timeline, I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't worked up for my particular project. You will be hiring an architect -

let them provide that information.

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com - view profile Date: Thurs, Oct 26 2006 1:29 pm Email: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Katrina,

Having professional help on your side will make all the difference in the world. This is likely your largest investment and you can potentially make simple mistakes that could cost you thousands or more!

As for time, I have experienced projects of this type that can take up

to a year to complete. It really depends on the location and parties involved. Just because it is a perfect rectangle doesn't mean it is a perfect solution.

Frank

RicodJour wrote:

Katr> > We're buying the blueprints from a floorplan site online. It's a > > perfect rectangle with no complicated rooflines or bumpouts, etc. It's > > a garage in the front with a 2-story greatroom behind and a master > > suite up top. I know I'll have to get an architect on board to help > > design the placement so that it butts up to the existing dwelling. > > Surely there must be a start to finish checklist/project timeline > > online for someone who wants to add on to their house. That's all I'm > > looking for with this question, not nay-sayers. > No one said you can't do it. People are telling you what you should > do. You posted on this newsgroup to get some experienced opinions. > You're getting them. > As far as a checklist/timeline, I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't > worked up for my particular project. You will be hiring an architect - > let them provide that information. > R

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: Al Bundy - view profile Date: Thurs, Oct 26 2006 6:25 pm Email: Al Bundy Groups: alt.building.construction Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

"Italian Mason" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

1374 sf 2 story addition, your asking for step by step help and you > say --"should be easy to build"???? What in the world would lead you > to believe building an addition slightly smaller than most average > track houses "would be easy to build". ...wait its comming to me...you > have been watching home improvement shows and you are now ready right?

I always shake my head at the Flip this House 4 step intro. They actually say "Step x". Something like:

Step 1: Buy beater Step 2: Take out old stuff Step 3: Install new appliances and fixtures Step 4: Sell for profit

Now why in the world would people think if you can rearrange your sock draw you can rebuild a house? I have no idea :-)

Reply to
Katrina

This is the most stupid waste of bandwidth I've seen in some time.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

See FAQ at: