Forced Air Plenum

Vertically speaking, how far up can the plenum go on a natural gas forced hot air heater? I cannot install the trunk in the basement, I need to go to the first floor ceiling and then insert the trunk to run the length of the house under the drop ceiling.
The Plenum length will end up being around 12'
All sugestions welcome jeff