Floor estimate help.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it'd cost to
1/ have oak flooring put down in an 11.5x9.5 room?
2/ do the floors (stain + two coats of polyurethane) for the whole place: 11x14, 14x18.5, 11x11.5, 11x9.5, 26x4 ?
This is upstate New York.
Any advice as to how to find out if he's a good floor-guy, other than calling his references? I've seen many places where really bad work was done - scalloping, uneven poly , dust in the poly.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Tony
7h95g wrote:

a few years ago in northern mn:
installation $4 sq. ft. sanding/finishing $2.50 sq. ft.

go look at his recent jobs. don't think there is another way.