flood zone insurance

I purchased a house and it is required to buy flood zone insurance which costs $2000 per year. but i heard this area never been flooded for the past 30 years. can i request to remove the flood zone requirement? how can i do it?
On 9/19/2011 7:54 AM, xin Yan wrote:

Might want to look around for other options. I pay less than $400 here in Florida.
Is it the mortgage company requesting it?
Look at the flood plane info in your area.
If not in a flood plane, ask why you need to insurance.
$2000 is a bit high. Unless you live in a multi million dollar house.
I believe the reason you have to pay this insurance is because you have mortage. flood zone is determined by FEMA, there are some chances you can request flood zone reconsideration through negotiation with FEMA.
here is the webpage can give you answers:
http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/fq_genhm.shtm
Let me know if you have any other questions
Jay Zhu, P.E

On 9/19/2011 7:54 AM, xin Yan wrote:

30 years is not very long in the scope of life and houses. You need to determine why it is in a flood plain, then work on the insurance issue.
IIRC, the insurance is not optional.
--
I'm never going to grow up.