flex duct or hard duct?

which one is better for heat and air condition the flex duct or the hard duct?
monique
monique wrote:

That is like asking; which is better, a water hose or a pipe?
For longevity, hard duct is better. For your pocket book, flex duct is better. They both have their uses and they are usually used in conjunction with each other.
Now, are you using ductboard or metal for your hard duct?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Most AC compressors/condensors/evaporators were underated for the home application back then. I'd spring for a larger and more efficient unit. Check the evaporator drainline while you're in there. Those that live in the vicinity of the Gulf coast, the AC unit moves alot of heat, air, and water. Ducting is the least or your problems.
I lived and worked in Pascagoula, MS for 3 years.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins
Thanks I will surely tell the man to check it
monique

Hard duct moves the air more efficiently. Flex duct creates some turbulence and usually needs to be sized up to compensate. If the quantity of insulation on the duct is the same, and if the joints are well sealed, the hard duct would be better. Hard duct is most often used for the main portion of the run and the last few feet are often flex.
If the duct is in good condition. . . . If the duct was sized properly the first time. . . .. If the duct is insulated properly. ... .. If the joints are sealed, including the connection to the register. . .. then the duct is probably not your problem.
Spend your time and dollars having a good technician run a Manual J on your system. They should be able to tell you if the existing system is sized properly. Assume for a moment that it is, now you need to discuss why yours is not functioning properly. You may need newer equipment or perhaps a good cleaning/balancing/servicing will suffice.
Have the HVAC man show you through the manual J why you need to do something different. Newer equipment with better Seer ratings becomes good economics when he can show you the return on the dollar.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

i found a man who deal with Philco and he is willing to clean my duct and make sure they are well wrapped and i will get a 4 ton Nordine air and heat unit. My son's friend who is in construction is very satisfy with his unit. I just want to throw that in.
monique