Flat Roofing Material

Hello - we are adding an addition to our modern home and it will have an almost flat roof. I am so hesitant to put a flat roof on with all the problems I have read about, but the wife wants it and it will look nice. We will have *some* pitch on the roof - likely around 1/12 or less.

So the questions:

- Any recommendations on how to not get leaks?!

- Any recommendations on what to use for roofing material? I have read that 'normal' shingles can't be used for less than 3/12 pitch.

Thanks.

Reply to
Hambone

asphalt shingles can be put on a 2/12 pitch provided you have two layers of 30 lb felt with tar in between or more likely, ice and water shield.

However, on a pitch of 1/12 you will want a EPDM membrane roof (aka rubber). find a roofer who has worked with it and you won't have any trouble.

Reply to
marson

you could use rolled asphalt for about 10% of the cost of the rubber roofing. what part of the world is this project in?

Reply to
longshot

you get what you pay for.

Reply to
marson

I agree. I guess it depends on the project, if it was on the mudroom of a doublewide, I'd probably go with the EPDM. if it was just a regular home trailer.. well... you get the idea. :-)

Reply to
longshot

If it were me, I would go with metal. Standing seam if you can afford it. Lasts longer than you will, probably.

You cannot use asphalt shingles. The slope is too low.

EPDM (as mentioned elswhere) would be another solution, and the lowest possible cost initially would be roll roofing (you will have to repair and/or replace it often).

Reply to
Robert Allison

Thanks for the responses so far. The flat roof will be over our living room and kitchen - so I want to do it right. We are in Tulsa, OK.

Thanks!

l>>>Thanks.

Reply to
Hambone

I would go with the commercial version (heavy) of hot mop. No gravel so when it does leak *years* from now, you can at least find it.

Reply to
Glenn

No. Spend the extra money for peace of mind. Go with the rubber membrane (EDPM) as suggested earlier. You can get one with a 20 year warranty.

Which would you prefer, a 20 year warranted roof or one that's easy to spot leaks in? Duh!

Reply to
John Reddy