Finishing basement, insulation question

I live in Ottawa Ontario, I just moved into a new house and was looking at finishing the basement in the future.
I noticed that all around the basement the current isulation stops about 1 foot from the floor. It has vapour barrier installed.
1-Why does the insulation not continue to the ground in the first place? 2-If I finish the basement, do I have to insulate the rest or leave the insulation the way it is, that is 1 foot shy from the floor?
Thank you.
Section 31 wrote:

You didn't provide enough information to make anything other than a guess. What type of insulation, etc. But that really doesn't matter. If you try to figure out why some people did something strange you'll drive yourself crazy. I could come up with a whole bunch of half-reasonable excuses, but who really knows what the guy was thinking?

Depends. Once you get down a certain depth, below the frost line - which is probably four or five feet in your neck of the woods, the earth temperature isn't that cold. You should decide whether a cooler basement in summer is worth more to you than having to spend a few more dollars to heat. If you're heating plant is in the basement (safe bet) then there is usually enough residual heat to keep a partially insulated basement at a reasonable temperature.

Its that way so you can drill thru the framing and install your electrical runs along the walls. First pull the staples on your vapor barrier and you can "tack" it up out of the way using duct tape while you do your drilling. When yer done, DO place the other ~1' of insulation in the walls before you reattach the Vap barrier.