finding contractors

We've finally gotten an offer accepted in SD. So now that we're in the process of getting the home, when we settle, we're going to want to make it our own. We are completely new to San Diego. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we can find out about good painters and other residential remodel contractors?
-- 21
I believe the Contractor License Board will have listings...... Drive around and when you see a job getting worked on ask........ Ask a painter, and a person doing remodel....... Look on the interent under remodel......painting..... Call up a few from a phone add......ask some questions, look at some samples of work....... Not easy in a large city like San Diego..... I am a General Contractor her in Northern Calif. small town....... Maybe you can walk into the Building Dept. and ask an official if they have any names to reccomend? Call an Architect or Engineering Firm for a Contractor Reccomend....? Good wishes... jloomis "jecky" <jeckyjil[at]gmail[dot]com> wrote in message

Suggestion: ask a few local real estate agents! I've found them to be knowledgable about who is good and who is respected.
on 9/17/2008 8:45 AM PeterD said the following:

Unless they have relatives or friends that are in those businesses.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY