Fence Question

Puting up an 80' fence with a bottom baseboard that is pressure treated. The 6' cedar pickets will be sitting above the baseboard. The 4"x4" fence posts will be pressure treated. Is it necessary to use pressure treated 2"x4" rails or would regular non-treated rails be fine?

The posts are planned to be 7' apart. Location is southeast TX.

Reply to
jan

It is not necessary. It is desirable though. Seeing as how you are using cedar for the pickets I think it makes sense to go with treated for the substructure. I have visited the Big Thicket and happen to know that your climate is a wet one. So, go with treated and no regrets.

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence. I forgot to mention my concern of the weight of the CCA treated rails, since subsidence is a huge issue here. But then again I don't want to have a twisty fence either. thanks again.

Reply to
jan

Well, use cedar rails if you can afford it. They will be lightweight to avoid subsiding, stable to avoid warping, and will look far nicer. You are already commited to an 80' stockade fence, you may as well. Then you could apply a penetrating stain to the entire fence.

Reply to
Lawrence