Fein tools?

Page 2 of 2
on 3/30/2009 10:17 AM (ET) willshak wrote the following:

Sorry, I misspoke. It is still there.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I was an auto glass installer for over 20 yrs and Fein came out with that tool in the early to mid 80's for windshield removal on cars like the Audi 5000 and the Ford Taruas. Windshields that couldn't be removed with the common cutout tool, the cold knife. Up until 2002 I was still using a "Fien knife". It wasn't until a couple of yrs ago that I saw it advertised as the "Multimaster". To this day I still have one in my tool collection that I paid over $400.00 for. HF sells some tools that are OK for limited use, but I guarantee you that "Multimaster" from HF is a POS that would probably break the first time that you used it.
Abby wrote:

Agreed that infomercials can be irritating. Some commercials too. But it might not be appropriate to paint the product with the stupidity of the marketing department.
Here's an interesting review and product testing of SHAMWOW! By Popular Mechanics magazine!
Spoiler: Shamwow actually works!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4309587.html
('Course I bought a set of 4 microfiber towels at HF for a couple of bucks...)

Though generally I'll say that one should always go somewhere other than HF for tools, the truth is every once in a while they have a great product.
Couple of years ago, I erected a large metal building. There was the need to drill many thousands of small holes. At just the right time HF sent me a flyer with a listing basically for the sized bit I needed, bag of 50 for about $10. I figured what the heck, I'd only loose $20 so I ordered two packs (that gave me 200 bits, since these were double ended!)
Well, the building is up. One pack is still unopened. The other pack is almost full. Some of the bits that I used when I first started are still being used now, the only ones that failed were ones that I broke! Some of the blasted best drill bits I've ever bought, and I paid a couple of pennies for each one. Heck, at this rate I'll die and still not have opened that second pack... (And I use a lot of drill bits, too.)
But, bottom line, usually one gets what one pays for. Buy cheap, get cheap. My HF Rayobi 18V drills... (Got to do the building too) were intended to last the project and be tossed at the end (I do have other, perhaps better ones but wanted two identical units to optimize battery usage). Both still work, though two of the battery packs are long dead. Good deal? Well, OK, but not great. But a Millwalkee (spelled wrong!) that I got at the same time, for twice as much lasted how long: half way though the construction. Burned out the motor. Replaced the motor. Burned it out again four days latter. Oops, not a good value!
PeterD wrote:

You raise a good point: Why are ALL drill bits not double-ended?
The fluted part is not as strong. Chucking up the fluted end risks breaking off. On the other hand, I could be totally mistaken.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

question are specifically designed for drilling thinner stocks (such as sheet metal, what I use them for). The chuck must clamp on a smooth (or hexed) shank, not the cutting portions of the bit. Most chucks only have about a half inch of space behind the point where they clamp on teh bit, so the size is limited for that reason.

Because with larger bits they would be hell on the chuck!!

what would be the point?
z wrote:

There are two, actually.

Personally, I think it is pointless to discuss double ended bits in this thread. I wish to point out that a new double point thread would be best for this pointed discussion! Everyone who thinks I have a point, please point towards me...
z wrote:

two points, actually.
--
Art

The Fein vibrating saw (like a Stryker cast saw) is a total waste of money if it is not variable speed. You will burn out the expansive blades and sanding pads at an alarming rate on most jobs, where the lower speed works well.

bet you never heard of a husqvarna sewing machine either and they're not available in your standard sewing store, but that doesn't mean it isn't a world beater.

Ah, but do they use infomercials? <bg>
And, yes, I've heard of them, they also make a really good chain saw that is very popular here.

dirt bikes too. must be a strange factory.

Here's a comparison review of a number of oscillating tools. To the people that have used a Fein it comes as no surprise that it was considered the best of the bunch and worth the price. http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2008/11/oscilating_tool_roundup.php#more