Exit Access, maximum slope

I recently bought a condo on the ground floor.I have a porch that at 8 feet out from the edge of the porch the ground level drops 36". This is very tricky to walk down, especially when the grass is wet from the dew. I have already slipped and am worried about older visitors. I requested of the condo association that I be allowed to install stairs off of the porch at my expense. The association refused. Is there any code building or safety violation here that I can use to force the issue. Any help will be appriciated.

You would have to check with your local building codes. It sounds like there should at least be a guardrail to keep people from walking or falling off the porch. I would also check to see who is liable if anyone does fall and decides to hire an attorney.

You're an American?
The information you want is covered under "means of egress". Some things will be subject to which code authority your municipality has adopted, though they are all quite similar. The actual code book should be readily accessible at your local library. There are code issues about egress in the Building Code, Life Safety Code, and the ADA (ADA is NOT code, only recommendation). They, again, are similar though ADA may be the most stringent. ADA typically doesn't like stairs.
Be careful about hollering code, it can often come back to bite you. My experience is in commercial code and I'm not sure if your situation will fall in commercial or residential. Is this porch part of your means of egress in event of a fire? I didn't ask you if you could go that way, is there an alternate safe path for you to take? Can you fall more than 30"? Be very careful with your answers as you may end up needing to install railings that can pass the 4" ball rule and withstand a 200# blow with a switch back ramp at one end over 40' long with railing system, wheelchair rest landings, and handrails. I think anyone here would need much more information before giving advice. We usually see situations that need more slope and steeper grade.
Perhaps you can deal with your situation with some creative landscaping that incorporates a winding path or a few steps between the koi pond, the gazing ball, and the pondering bench. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net