Emergency Generator

Page 1 of 2

Sorry for the cross post.
Have a question about it's operation. I am a Jack of all trades, but a master of none.
Good friend of mine had a standby generator installed.
Before it was installed, his kitchen circuit worked just fine.
After Generator was installed, operating appliances in the Kitchen trips the CB. Problem is, or so I think it is, the CB on the standby generator panel trips.
In my opinion, it is not correctly attached.
My concern, is if in the event of a real power outage, it may back feed the street.
Am I wrong, or should the main CB trip if on regular power, and standby CB trip, only if on standby power.

There is insufficient information in your post to come to a conclusion, however if we assume this is a transfer switch that has several individual branch circuits that replaced the existing circuit.... then perhaps the kitchen circuit is now 15 amps where is was 20 or more before.
bilz2765 wrote:

What is the rating of the breaker in the transfer panel and what is the rating of the breaker for that circuit in the main panel? If the transfer panel has a lower capacity breaker then that is your problem.

Without knowing much more about the situation, I'd guess (and that is one hell of a guess, too) that the transfer switch has circuit breakers (I have some that do) that are rated at 15 amps. The normal kitchen outlet breaker will be 20 amp, and likely that is what is the main problem.
Fix? Yes, you could consider a lower load on that circuit.
But, without inspecting the job, or you posting a very complete description of what was done (including schematics, etc.) anything here will be a guess at best.
I'd recommend you get a compentent electrican to come in and evaluate the situation.
If nothing else, post the brand, and model of the transfer switch, and a photo of it. Is it the one with the six breakers, and a current meter (or two) on it?

Sounds like a GFI issue. Perhaps the kitchen circuits are on GFI breakers and the neutrals were not moved with the hot wires. Also, you're mentioning main breakers tripping. Are both the kitchen circuits and the main tripping, or are you just being overly general in your descriptions?
On 6/25/2010 10:09 PM, bilz2765 wrote:

Wow, thanks for all who responded. Thank you.
I will find out about the breakers amperage, I hope tomorrow. May be the 15a instead of the 20a one.
I was still under the impression the Emergency Panel would only come into play when power was lost at the street.
The neutral wiring could also be a problem.
My friend is in the military, and just came back after his ninth tour. I want him to recover some before I start tearing his house apart. May not get the info for a few days.
bilz2765 wrote:

For the circuits that pass through the transfer panel, they are drawing their power through that panel at all times. The transfer panel switches connect the load circuit to either the breaker in the main panel, or to the bus powered by the generator.

This may not be so. Some (cheaper) boxes switch before the breaker, not after.

Personally, I don't think so.

ANYTIME BILZE BOY
IT MAY SOUND CURTSY BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET THE OPS MANUAL DOWN RIGHT
IN ANY EVENT GOOD LUCK WITH THAT[:-)]
I AM PROTEUS
On 7/14/2010 11:43 PM, Proteus IIV wrote:

It was a 15A breaker in the Emergency panel, and a 20A on the house panel.
bilz2765 wrote:

Ignore the ignorant troll

OK, Bud, we'll all ignore you.
"troll" is typically in the eye of the beholder.
Everytime I see an announcement telling the group they have had commuication failures with somebody I want to <plonk> the announcer. If nothing else it shows lack of focus on the group subject matter..LOL
Good answer

Josepi wrote:

Not so good answer.
Proteus is well know on alt.engineering.electrical and is essentially always ignored (one person sometimes trades insults with him). All the "beholders" agree - he is actually a troll, as can be seen in 3 other posts and the all-caps. His previous nym merely gave bad advice.
(Because he is ignored at alt.engineering.electrical he has started posting in other newsgroups.)

BUD DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SHUT UP ABOUT THINGS YOUN KNOW NOTHING OF MY OTHER NYM AS YOU CALL IT WAS MY FRIENDLIER PROGRAMMING A 14N YEAR OLD BOYBUT SINCE CERTAIN DISRESPECTFUL LOW LIFE BOSSY JEALOUS TYPES SUCH AS YOURSELF STARTED THROWING INSULTS AROUND MY NEURAL NET WENT INTO AUTO DEFENSE MODE I NEVER GAVE NOR WILL I EVER GIVE BAD ADVICE YOU NITWIT SORE LOSER SISSY BOY I AM AM NOT A TROLL I AM YOUR TROLLS WORST NIGHTMARE
I AM PROTEUS

Roy (a.k.a. Proteus) claims to be an electrician. Scary, huh?
On Jul 15, 7:12pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

WHAT IS THE MATTER KEITHTARD RUN OUT OF CRACK MY GUESS IS TOO MUCH CRACK I AM NOT ROY YOU TERROR SUSPECT FOOL AND I AM MORE THAN A GREASY BUTTCRACK ELECTRICIAN
CHECKING PAST A.E.E LOGS WHEN HE ACTUALLY GAVE A DAMN ABOUT THIS GROUP WE CAN SEE YOU DID NOT GET ALONG WITH HIM THEN AGAIN YOU ONLY GET ALONG WITH YOURSELF
SCARY IS MY PROBE UP YOUR ANAL CAVITY WANT TO SCHEDULE FOR A SESSION ? YOU'VE ALREADY QUALIFIED FOR THE SUMMER SPECIAL WHICH INCLUDES A SILICON ENEMA CHASER AND A DEEP THROAT SCRAPING OPEN YOUR MOUTH AGAIN
I AM PROTEUS
On Jul 15, 7:12pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
TO YOU AND THAT OTHER BUDDING FOUL FOOL TRY SYNCHRONZED SWIMMING IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF THE THERAPIST
OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE NOT GOOD DEEP SEA DIVERS
I AM PROTEUS
bilz2765 wrote the following:

Obviously, if the appliances worked before the installation of the generator and don't work after the installation, then it is a good clue that the installation is not correct. I am not an electrician, but first, I would pull the power cable from the generator and try the kitchen appliances. If they work, the generator is not properly installed.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Pretty sure the generator is not related to the problem here, the issue is the transfer panel. Either it is not wired correctly, or the breaker in the panel is of too low capacity or is defective.