Electrical question concerning three way wiring...HELP

I am rehabbing a house and I am having some trouble with a three way connection.
I have two three-way switches about 15 feet apart. These switches control two single-bulb light fixtures. I am not sure but it appears that the lights are between the two switches, electrically. I have identified the two travelers, a white and a red. I have identified one hot wire at one switch, and a wire going to the lights at the other switch. I have wired both switches the same, with the red traveler at the upper terminal of both switches, the white traveler to the middle terminal, and the black from the 120VAC source to the common of that switch and the wire to the lights to the common of the other switch. So far, it seems good.
But operationally, it's not good. From one switch, it works great, on, off, on, off. But if I walk to the other switch, nothing. In fact, if the lights are on, either switch can turn them off. But if the lights are off, only the switch that turned them off can turn them back on, if that makes sense.
Please someone tell me what is happening.
Thanks Tim
The first thought that comes to my mind is that the common terminal is not always in the same position on two different switches. Look for the screw that is a different color than the other two. If that's ok, it seems you may have a bad switch.

I had the same problem with another three-way setup. I had one of the travelers hooked between the common terminals and the hot/fixture (black) wires on the traveler terminals. It worked exactly like that. I have checked these setups 100 times and it is still bad.
Tim

If this is the case, you will need to have a 3-wire (plus ground) cable between the two lights. 2 wires for the travelers, one for the neutral.
Draw a diagram of each electrical box and each cable between the boxes and then report back.

This would be a little unusual, the travelers are typically red and black.
Yours, Wayne
Might help to look here, lots of examples of correct 3 way wiring:
http://www.danswiringpage.com/index.html

Would you explain what you mean by "three-way switch"?
Hul

If your line is in one switch box and your load is in the other switch box you need to carry the neutral line conductor (White) over to the neutral load conductor (White). This is done by splicing the whites together in each switch box. The line hot wire (Normally black) should connect onto the colored screw of the three way switch. The load hot wire should connect onto the colored screw of the other three way switch. The remaining black and red wires are the travelers and they get connected to the remaining unused screw terminals at each switch. It doesn't matter if it is top or bottom.

See first diagram ...
http://www.electronics-project-design.com/LightSwitchWiring.html
Thanks for the directions.
Hul