Electric Shock

I live in a 100 or so year old apartment building. They are doing some major renovation work in the basement. For the last few days I have been getting lots of electric shocks when I touch various things, from the microwave to the water faucet. The air is not particularly dry and we don't have any wind, so I don't think the weather is the problem. Is it possible that the construction caused this problem (I know that they have accidentally cut many wires along the way) and, if so, what kinds of actions could cause this problem?
TIA.
--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What is a major renovation? Gutting it? Restoring it?
they may have loosened a ground connection.
they may now have pvc, so you now have no real ground.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM


"Matt Silberstein" < snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I would guess by your description that you are talking about static electric shock like walking on wool carpet, etc. I can think of no reason why any renovation work or electrical work would increase the incidence of static electricity. Humidity, or rather the lack thereof, and weather have more influence on static.
Some clothing generates more static. Maybe you need Bounce sheets in the dryer. Are you wearing something new or different? ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net
wrote in message

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Static shocks (brief and not immediately repeatable) or repeatable sustaining current shocks?
--


MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.