Electric Garage Door Opener Problem

I installed a new 3/4 horsepower Craftsman garage door opener. Went well, no problems. Close position set and open position sets well. However, when in the open position, and I push the botton to close the door, the initial motion is extremely bouncy and tourques the arm upwards before continuing on it's path to close.
The mounting is solid and the open position is proper (i.e it is open just short of level and not at a backwards slant).
Is my problem the angle of the arm from the wall to the motor unit? Or...any other ideas?
Thanks Steve-O
The following is assumming your door is running on overhead tracks (sectional door) and not a 1 piece door with or w/o track. As I presume this is the 3/4hp chain drive, (53990) you will get some initial torque when the motor starts up due to chain slack.
Check to see if the guides have any rack in them. This can cause some binding leading to your start-up torquing of the door mechanism. Rack being the diagonal measurments of the guide frame.
|\\ / |<<measure digonally from ends to a given point of the equal length along the guides | \\ / <------- Diagonal rack | \\ / | | \\ / | This would be a view from the top or bottom of the tracks | \\/ | | / \\ | | / \\ | | / \\ | |/ \\ | <given point> Can be 10',12', 14' etc. etc. Just a check to make sure the guide frame is "square" and not a parallelogram (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Parallelogram.html ) nor a trapezoid ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Trapezoid.html
You state;

I hope 'just short of level' is somewhere around +/- 3/16" in 8' from track to track. (IE: Both tracks are @ the same elevation) In reality, the tracks need not be dead level from the door frame opening to the end of the tracks by the motor, but it's better if they are. You can also check to see if the door is binding, when in the up position, by using the manual release. Pull the release and push the door to the down position, see if you are getting any initial binding in the full open position. If it's binding in the uppermost position, it should be fairly noticeable because the door will hang and then travel quite freely after you've moved it down some distance. You can also test this theory by lowering the upper limit in the full open position. Say you reset the upper limit to only open 3/4's of the way. Then activate the door and see if you are getting the same torquing as when the door is in a more raised position.
HTH Dan

One other possibility is too much spring to overcome. Test by releasing the door pull and see how much foce is present to manually close the door.