Electric Garage Door Opener Problem

I installed a new 3/4 horsepower Craftsman garage door opener. Went well, no problems. Close position set and open position sets well. However, when in the open position, and I push the botton to close the door, the initial motion is extremely bouncy and tourques the arm upwards before continuing on it's path to close.

The mounting is solid and the open position is proper (i.e it is open just short of level and not at a backwards slant).

Is my problem the angle of the arm from the wall to the motor unit? Or...any other ideas?

Thanks Steve-O

Reply to
slock1

The following is assumming your door is running on overhead tracks (sectional door) and not a 1 piece door with or w/o track. As I presume this is the 3/4hp chain drive, (53990) you will get some initial torque when the motor starts up due to chain slack.

Check to see if the guides have any rack in them. This can cause some binding leading to your start-up torquing of the door mechanism. Rack being the diagonal measurments of the guide frame.

|\\ / | I installed a new 3/4 horsepower Craftsman garage door opener. Went

Reply to
Dan Deckert

One other possibility is too much spring to overcome. Test by releasing the door pull and see how much foce is present to manually close the door.

Reply to
Dennis