Drip edge discouraged

Page 2 of 2
Just 50 year stuff. What is HD rated at?
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"Glenn" < snipped-for-privacy@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Here here, tin foil at best. Buying material at Home Crapo and Howes and then commenting on components of a quality roof install and the omition of drip edge requires a good look in the mirror. A little over the top, but using home center drip edge is a modest step at best above not using it at all. It is the thinnest material, thinnest finish, and shortest profile that could be considered worth installing in the first place.
Mark
Guess it all depends on the guarantee. You reputation precedes you. What happens if you lay a ladder against the drip edge, and it bends? I admit the price is ridiculous, but what isn't any more.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"M&S" < snipped-for-privacy@no.com> wrote in message

50 year drip edge? Great. Now tell me where I can find 50 year shingles to go with it.
John Reddy wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&qP+year+warranty+roof+shingles
There are a fair number of manufacturers, too.
On my roof. 50 year archs.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"John Reddy" < snipped-for-privacy@contbuilding.com> wrote in message
Bill wrote:

But they haven't been around yet for 50 years so I personally take these guarantees with a grain of salt. I'll believe it when I see it. My 30 year shingles are only 6 years old and I'll be very surprised if they last 24 more years.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Not sure if I'm willing to wait another quarter century for your full report, but good luck with it anyway!
The guarantee doesn't mean that there _won't_ be problems. It means if and when there are problems you probably won't see jack. Subtle difference. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

However, it does call into question paying 3X more for "50 year" drip edge. :-)
Matt
In a previous post Matt Whiting wrote...

I suppose, but you could put (2) 25-year roofs on with the same 50-year drip edge.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

True. However, if the drip edge is installed correctly it should be over top of the roofing felt along the gables and thus should be removed for a proper refelting anyway. I know, I know, many folks just slap a new layer of shingles on over the existing, but I never liked that practice.
Matt
In a previous post Matt Whiting wrote...

Also true, but it is common and can save substantial amounts of money when you figure in the demo and haul cost of removing an existing roof.
BTW, I always design my roof systems to allow for two layers of asphalt shingles.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

Ripping off instead of reroofing also loses that valuable R-0.1 insulation from the old layer of shingles.

Asphalt? You're showing your age, Bob. Or, maybe the shingles are. ;)
My favorite was the house with 2x4 rafters that had cedar shingles and two layers of asphalt shingles - well, maybe the top one was fiberglass.
You can generally tell the reroofed-too-many-times-with-inadequate- framing houses by the sway-backed ridge. That's usually the first place it shows up.
In a previous post RicodJour wrote...

That was my house in Seattle before we re-roofed as requirement of the sale. For some reason the banks in Seattle seem to make this a standard practice before granting loans.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

Never heard that one before. Makes a certain kind of sense - for the bank!

That was my house. It lasted for twelve years after I bought it.

Exactly. The warranties are pro-rated such that you aren't going to get much if a 30 year shingle lasts 20 years. Also, the chances of the shingle manufacturer being around in 50 years are probably the same as my being around, pretty slim.
Bill wrote:

The level of practice and quality varies from region to region, but what is correct remains the same.
Matt
GB wrote:

Here in Connecticut we are required to install drip edge.
Jack
Jack wrote:

NY, too. Specifically section 1507.2.9.3
Unfortunately, all too often, reroofing and remodeling gets treated like bastard sons of new construction and a lot of stuff falls through the cracks. A roofer worth his salt would comply with code even if he thought it was a waste of time. It's not like he's paying for it and he can use the fact that he's complying with code as a sales tool.