Doorbell always uses electricity!

Page 10 of 10
Red Green wrote:

Yes. I've been thinking of doing that for the last 40 years. It would work best if you could build the refrigerator into the house (think walk-in cooler, but smaller, or the undercounter fridges found in bars). You'd need a fan to circulate outside (cold) air in, and dampers to close off from the outside, and a controller to regulate the dampers & fan and switch to powered refrigeration when the outside temperature is warmer than refrigerator-interior temperature. Ditto for the freezer, though even in Minnesota there isn't that long a period when outside temperature stays below 0 degrees F. (But outside air could be used to cool the coils of the powered refrigeration and increase its efficiency.) For that (in Minnesota) you could avoid much of the refrigeration energy for maybe 3 months, and get some unknown improvement most of the rest of the year.
One side benefit is that if you're building the fridge, you're not constrained to fitting insulation within a thin metal shell, you can insulate as much as you want. The dampers and the door would be the parts that were harder to insulate.
But it does sound like a lot of work to accomplish.
Dave

About 25 years ago I read an article about the guy that built a supreinsulated freezer with thermal mass in it. He used a heat pipe to freeze it al winter and it wouel swing through the summer.
Wow this is a long ways from a door bell

I have two lighted buttons. I'm gonna burn in Hell for it. I just know it.
Andy Energy wrote:

Feature creep :)

There is an old phrase for that. It predates the concept of "green" and energy conservation by some centuries:
Penny wise and pound foolish.
'Nuff said.
--
:)
JR

And I can save pounds per year for a few pounds via a move that you deride as penny-wise-pound-foolish. Looks like I gotta put a switchable power strip for my TV and DTV box onto my written shopping list, since a parttime engineer also having a delivery job and a long term lover at age 47 is subject to brain memory overloading!!!

Putting in a little effort can decrease idling load by maybe 20 watts, give or take (with major variation from household to household). That amounts to about 175 KWH per year, or roughly about $20 per year at current average residential electricity rates.
I really ought to get a power strip for my TV. Most of the energy it consumes is consumed while it is off. Same is true of my DTV box. If my computer system was not on a power strip, most of the energy consumed by my printer and cable modem (and its wallwart) would be consumed while they are off. If not for the power strip, about 5% of the energy consumed by my monitor and 20% of the energy consumed by the contents of my tower case would be consumed while they were off. And over 90% of the energy consumed by my landline phone is consumed while it is on standby.
That 75% number sounds high to me - I think more like 30%, possibly 40%, which is still a lot.
On Nov 23, 10:25�pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

tv life expectancy and othewr deevices may be less,turned off from thermal cycle shock.
DTV boxes use idle time to download guide updates and other utilities.
its not a free lunch
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
<What I said in favor of switching off idling loads>

I find that highly overrated. I even find extrapolation from burnouts of incandescent lightbulbs - disproportionately upon cold start. However, incandescent lightbulbs that have aged into a condition unable to survive a cold start have their remaining hours already numbered (in lower double digits), and the main relevant filament failure mode progresses at a rate that accelerates worse than exponentially!

Mine is constantly powered so far since I have yet to powerstrip it (and my TV). I have yet to notice it being updated for anything since 1 hour after I first successfully used it!
I oughtta get off my butt and get a power strip for my TV and my DTV box!

Turning on and off electronic devices, does it shorten their life? Even if it does the electricity saved over the life of the unit will buy a newer more efficient unit when it finally dies.
So here is my own research, I have a TV that is about 25 years old and most of those years it has been turned off at the power strip. It gets used about and average of 1 hour per day and it still works.
I do know that the new cable boxes when shut off on a power strip loose their programming and can take some time to turn back on.
So we need to press the manufactures of these devices to have a very low consumption when we are not using them. Ive measured several cable and TVs off and they can consume more than 40 watts off.
Bill wrote:

Just because someone replies does not mean they are getting "upset". They are just taking part in a discussion. This is what USENET is.
--
Art

Bill wrote:

The worry that you might reproduce?

Upset? NO - just amazed at your cost/benefit line of reasoning. It's fine to try to reduce energy consumption, but not the way you attacked that doorbell situation.