Door Switches/ where buy ?

Page 1 of 2

I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.
Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?
Thanks for any advice on this.
James

Radio Shack never made alarm systems
Wrong, they made them. But it was quite some time ago. They even sold them as kits.
wrote:

Radio Shack never made alarm systems
James wrote:

What I see a lot of now are magnetic reed switch type door contacts, I bet those would be easier to find than a pin switch. Pretty standard security stuff.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yes, you can put them under the copper weatherstripping and they work just as well. My door was kicked in the first year I was here, between 6 and 8 on a summer Sunday, and I also bought the plate that wraps around the door under the doorknob, and the magnet part I put under that. So both parts were hidden but it worked fine.
Though, iiuc what the op is talking about, I used a roller plunger in my sliding door tracks. It doesn't show at all and it's put so I can leave the door open five inches and still set the alarm. (though I never set the alarm when I'm home, and even when it was broken I didn't always close the back door when I left.
OP, while in person some suppliers are wholesale only, on the web, most places do't worry about that.
I found a dentist supply store that sold rubber bands for braces. I think it was 2.30 a bag and 35 cents for shipping. I used them for eyeglasses, at the hinges. :)

Look for a *real* electronics store in your area. Not a big box or chain store, but a privately owned ma and pa shop.
re: "Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems"
Radio Shack never made anything...they just sell stuff (and junk) with their name on it.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What city do you live in, that there still is such a thing as a ma and pa electronics shop? I haven't seen anything like that in about 25 years. All the ones I shopped at as a kid either went belly up, or morphed into something else, and none have the rows of racks and back room full of parts like they used to. An independent alarm equipment dealer could fix OP right up, if they are willing to sell retail.
Or look online- that is what actually replaced small local jobbers. Graingers, Digikey, or similar, probably carries it. MPJA.com is a good place to start, if you don't need commercial grade stuff.
-- aem sends... -- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

ADI might be better if he has one nearby and they aren't all uptight about commercial only sales (like my local Grainger)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

re:"What city do you live in, that there still is such a thing as a ma and pa electronics shop?"
Western NY, on the shores of one of our Great Lakes.
Never saw a ma, but there's definitely a pa - more than one in fact.
Rows of racks, a back room full of parts, and they'll order individual parts if they don't have 'em in stock.
Maybe the OP could find such a store by searching here:
http://www.manta.com /
aemeijers wrote:

You can buy basic sensors and switches at electrical supply houses around here - not all of 'em, but some...
ntvinh986 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-Door-Switches-where-buy-18294-.htm :
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-------------------------------------
Thanks you for the post.
On Nov 24, 11:22am, vinhvinhvn_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ntvinh986) wrote:

YW

Wow, you must be an expert! But you don't know squat.
RS made lots of stuff. And even made it for other companies that put their own name on it. Heck, even on major brand of computer was made in a RS factory and the company put their own name on it...
James wrote:

Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/yk6u9xq and see if any of them fit your needs.
Don
Wow, Don, that link shows my exact switch configuration, but it is now a reed switch, which will be an improvement !!!
Thanks Don, and for all the other replies !!
And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems, I have two to prove it, but of course I don't need to.....
James

I have come across a Radio Shack branded alarm, though I wouldn't call it a security system. Whether radio shack "made" them or not isn't really the point, they do exist . I think the reason you see so few mechanical plungers is they a far less reliable than magnetic reed switches.
Instead of sinking for money into this alarm , you may want to consider upgrading to cowbells hung from your doorknobs.

re: "And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems"
I don't believe anyone said RS didn't *sell* alarm systems.
Some (even I) said they didn't *make* them, in response to the words in your OP:
"Radio Shack no longer *makes* alarm systems..."
"James" wrote:

There's a product from GE Security called a 3005 "Roller Plunger" contact which is probably the closest to what you have in terms of size, shape and function. I sell them online. So does almost every other online alarm store. Here's a link to the SR-3005 on my website:
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_720_detailed.htm?pSearchQueryId 644
If the hole in the woodwork is too shallow for the 3005 you can use the "short" version of the same switch, called a 3008:
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_6279_detailed.htm?pSearchQueryId 645
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass