Does anyone make 2 x 8 I-Joists?

I want to build a "Room in a room" for my home theater, but the Ceiling spans call for 2 x 8's at a minimum. I am hoping that someone makes a 2x8 I-joist as they will be MUCH lighter and easier to work with. I don't have the ceiling (original) height to go much more than 2x8.

I know I could either hang a ceiling, or use the isolation clips, having done that once I know I don't get the isolation I want... To keep movies like Terminator-2 in the sound room and out of the living room above, I really need to totally isolate the ceiling and floor above.

I can use 2x8x16's, but they are heavy and not always as straight as I would like. A shallow I-joist alternative is what I really want.

Hope someone can help....

Bob Sisson

Reply to
Bob Sisson

smallest I know of is 9 1/2". Am wondering why you need 2x8's, though. according to the canadian wood council

you can span up to 18' with a #2 spf 2x6. you could go and pick out straight ones.

Reply to
marson

Probably because I mis-read the span tables...

I read that 2 x 6's could only do 12'... but that was probably with a higher load than just drywall and insulation....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Sisson

I think you should strongly consider steel joists like these:

Though I can see no reason to clear span.

Run drywall ceiling grid, install unfaced insulation batts, attach sound board, attach and finish drywall with one these methods:

drywall z furring or drywall suspension systems like this: javascript:viewResult('

;___________________________Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG