DIY concrete mixer motor?

I'm thinking about building a homemade rig for small batch concrete jobs- something that would rotate a 5-gallon bucket would be fine (nice and compact, and if needed I can just dump the bucket and start mixing the next bucket). I particularly like the idea of an easy cleanup, where I can just rinse the bucket instead of hauling a whole mixing rig to a water source.

Where I'm stuck is figuring out what type of motor I should use; I want something at least 1/3hp and running at (variable) 0-50rpm.

Has anyone else built a DIY concrete rig, and if so, any suggestions on what motor to use?

Thanks! Keith

Reply to
ker_01

I think you'd need some kind of internal projections in a 5gal. bucket to get a good mix - most mixers have vanes welded to the inside.

A small batch alternative might be this thing - I've seen it advertised but never used one

possibility might be
looks a little funky, but the testimonials make it sound pretty slick.

And no, I don't work for either...just had a few minutes to spare on Google.

Reply to
v8z

I won't get into your project itself, just your question about the motor:

Variable speed would be complex, you'll need a DC motor with a DC motor controller.

Let's say you are really handy...

Find an old treadmill, the bigger teh better, that still has a good motor and controller... Those motors are usualy 90 VDC (a standard voltage for a DC motor of any size) and the controller will allow variable speeds without any muss or fuss. See where I'm headed?

The alternative is to buy some new (or surplus) stuff, but that will be expensive...

Reply to
PeterD