Distance from transformer to service panel/meter

Can anyone tell me the maximum distance one can set the service panel from the transformer for a residential hook-up? I would like to use a

200 amp panel for the house and run a sub-panel to the garage that would have a 200 amp panel as well.
Reply to
bodega

It all depends on the total demand load, the equipment being used (A/C size and large motors), the wire size, and the allowable percentage voltage drop and flicker. Ask your utility company, they'll tell you how far they can run.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

A looooong way. Around here transformer to main panel is the power company's responsibility. Contact them to discuss options and cost.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Fwiw, besides distance, around here 200A is typically one service, 400A would be equivalent to two services or, heavier gauge wiring (twice the typical) may be required to install a 400A service ... if the transforner is rated to handle it... around here. There's no way around it ... you'll just have to call your local provider.

Reply to
bowgus