Dek blocks vrs. cement footings

I live in the Toronto, Canada area and am planning on building a deck in the next few weeks. I have two co-workers who used dek blocks to build their decks and also anchored the deck to their houses. They swear by using the deck blocks and have had no issues with their decks moving or any damage caused by the floating deck and the anchoring to the house.
I am debating using the dek blocks vs. cement footings. Dek blocks certainly do seem easier then cement footings. I am wondering if anyone in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) has used dek blocks and anchored their deck to the house and if it has caused any issues. I don't know how much movement would occur from frost in the GTA.
thanks
Duke1973
Duke1973 wrote:

are you getting a building permit? where i live, anything attached to the house needs to have frost footings.
if you are on very well drained soil, you will get away with putting a deck on blocks. if not, your blocks will move over time. yeah, maybe it will be alright for a year or two, but come back in ten years to really judge.
I used them for my shed, but when I build my deck I won't. I'm near Chicago.