Deck repair?

My 2nd-story deck has substantial damage from carpenter bees, mostly in the supporting joists. I'd love to tear the whole thing down and start over but with a daughter in college and another taking a trip to Italy this summer, the money just isn't there. I'm thinking of pumping insecticide into the tunnels and sealing them to kill the bees, then screwing fresh (treated and painted) 2x10s to the existing joists and overhead deck boards. That should restore the structural strength and then some, without breaking the bank. Any thoughts on the idea in general, or recommendations on materials?

SteveR St Louis

Reply to
Steve Richardson

My 2nd-story deck has substantial damage from carpenter bees, mostly in the supporting joists. I'd love to tear the whole thing down and start over but with a daughter in college and another taking a trip to Italy this summer, the money just isn't there. I'm thinking of pumping insecticide into the tunnels and sealing them to kill the bees, then screwing fresh (treated and painted) 2x10s to the existing joists and overhead deck boards. That should restore the structural strength and then some, without breaking the bank. Any thoughts on the idea in general, or recommendations on materials?

SteveR St Louis

Reply to
Steve Richardson

I dought carpenter bees will weaken it much but yes spray, caulk holes before they emerge in spring, and wood or aluminum sheet will help

Reply to
m Ransley

It's hard to make assumptions about the structural design of your deck.... Cantilevered second storey decks regularly suffer rot/insect damage to the joists right at the wall junction. No amount of sistering (outside the wall) would alleviate that type of damage if it has occurred on your home. A posted or a cantilevered deck that retains enough strength could potentially be repaired in the fashion that you are considering. You may need to reattach at the building.

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 110 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Sistering would be o.k....depending on how far back your able to sister the new joist's..imho...going back about 8' would be ideal..but then I'm kinda anal about upper decks / balconies being safe..

Attaching the sistered joist's...they should be Bolted with 5/8 bolts every

2 feet..2 bolts every 2'.

Reply to
GLT

check this out:

Fred

Carpenter bees are quite the engineers. They carefully bore their holes in neutral axes which, for the most part, do not interfere with structural integrity. Your first idea is best. Then dress the appearance.

Reply to
Steve Kachaylo