Deck Railing Height

Does anyone know the building code height requirement for outdoor deck railings, in New Hampshire and/or Massachusetts? I'm about to buy the lumber, and it might make a difference in what lengths I buy.

Thanks.

- - Steve

Reply to
Steve

If your local code is IRC (International Residential Code), distance from deck surface to level below makes a difference. More than 30 inches difference requires a 36 inch high 'guard'. Openings in this 'guard' should be small enough to keep a 4" sphere from passing through. T

Reply to
AAllc.architects

While we're talking about railing height.....

IMO the range of 34" / 38" (the railing heights called out by most local codes) seems a little low since the 95% male center of mass is right about 41" / 42".

I was visiting a friend over the weekend and her house a cantilevered "back yard" deck.........about 25' down to the first terrace below the deck, followed by a drop of another 50' or so to "ground".

I sure felt better leaning against a railing that caught me at ~ belly button level (my approximate cg) & not at the "code" 36 inch height. :)

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

The former US UBC code and present IBC code calls for guard rails to be 42 inches high. This is required for vertical distances from 30 inches to finish grade or higher. Stair railing between 30 / 36 inches. the 4 inch sphere required is the same. loading for railings are 50 psf in any direction and 200 lb concentrated loading. Stair posts spacing not greater than 8 feet.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck-

I feel a lot better about the 42" number but I still see the 36" / 38" mentioned for railing heights.

My former boss was re-building a deck railing (about 9' down to a driveway) at his home near Lake Tahoe & the local code folks wanted the railing at 36". ?

Is the 36" number a residential thing where former UBC & IBC are commerical?

I'm confused because I see a lot of railings way below the 42" number. cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Bob:

The IRC calls for 36" railing and IBC calls for 42" railing. Like you, I much prefer the 42" railing height.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

The IBC requires 42" guardrails but allows several exceptions, including guardrails in Group R, Division 3 dwellings, which are essentially one and two-family dwelling units no more than three floors in height, where 36" is allowed.

I prefer 42"...perfect height to rest a beer when not drinking it.

Reply to
wiggins.martin