deck post ?

What is the max spacing for posts on a deck?
Snikerty Loon wrote:

depends on a lot of factors. check out http://www.ci.duluth.mn.us/city/bsafety/general/deckbeamfooting.pdf
Snikerty Loon wrote:

depends on your framing system
doesn't your bulding dept have sample deck & patio cover designs?
Just a WAG but I'd say 8' to 12' depending on deck design
Is this thing close to the ground or 8' up?
check out http://www.decks.com /
but be careful they have some really dumb details for parts of the deck design
(like post to foundation connections)
they have a span calculator that will give you an idea depending on joist size, spacing & live load but your local building dept requirements will have to be satisfied
cheers Bob
Bob, Thank you for recommending www.decks.com. We are always looking to improve the site. We show 3 or 4 different techniques at this connection. There are many people that use these different techniques. We felt it was only fair to show them all. We mot prefer you to have a bolt connection at the post and pier.
Thank you again. Decks.com
Bobk207 wrote:

Check with your local zoning commission department or building code people.